Day and Night on 0 A.D.?

Stockfish

Hello everyone, how are you!

The reason for this post is to ask you what you would think of the implementation of a dynamic lighting system in 24-minute loops (one minute being equivalent to one hour) in which the lighting changes little by little, darkening and lightening the lighting of the game depending on whether it is day or night.

It would be necessary to implement night textures for the buildings, with torches for example.

I think this would be great for 0 A.D. and it would significantly increase the strategy of the game since you may be more interested in attacking at night when there is less light, sacrificing a little the speed of your boom. ^^

What do you think? Good day :D 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Stockfish said:

Hello everyone, how are you!

The reason for this post is to ask you what you would think of the implementation of a dynamic lighting system in 24-minute loops (one minute being equivalent to one hour) in which the lighting changes little by little, darkening and lightening the lighting of the game depending on whether it is day or night.

It would be necessary to implement night textures for the buildings, with torches for example.

I think this would be great for 0 A.D. and it would significantly increase the strategy of the game since you may be more interested in attacking at night when there is less light, sacrificing a little the speed of your boom. ^^

What do you think? Good day :D 

I like this very much also, of course but  this is discussed here on forums in last 20  or so years quite often @vladislavbelov can have some words on this topic eg. it a lot discussed when some map got a water manager that controlled flooding of the map so there was some discussion if it could be used for light manager as foundation, i believe then there were some technical performance concerns  which I do not understand since dynamic days/light was figured out and used eg. in warcraft 3 , since original spellforce since 90s.

1 hour ago, Stockfish said:

Well given how popular mods are that increase visibility I'm not sure it would be well received.

The engine has some current limitation which make torches glow hard to implement for now but maybe in the future.

Some people also spoke against it on the forums because it fell unrealistic

• Like 1