Copyright

Technically, any original piece of art, as soon as it is created is copyrighted. But, many people put the symbol there to announce it's copyrighted so that others do not take credit for it.

While it is legally copyrighted from creation, it doesn't stop people from stealing it and taking credit (but if you hire lawyers and bring a case against them, with proof it was your creation, then you'd most likely win).

But the proper way to do it, is to register at the copyright office and that way, there's record of it belonging to you and if someone steals it you don't have to go through all the hastle of proving its yours.

At least that's as much as I understand.

Pretty much, in the UK at least (dunno about other countries,) copyright is automatic, so are trademarks but like Shane said if you have registered it you don't have to prove it in court. copyright is always © but trademark is either TM or ®, ® if it's registered, TM if it's not.

I heard that somtimes for letters or pictures people mail themselves a copy of their work to themselves and then leave it unopened. That way it is sealed inside and the postmark date proves when it was in there.

This is true for many inventions, even machines, software, medicines...

Well, sure it works. But, if registered at the copyright office there is no need to show proof of ownership. While to be honest I don't really know the details involved in showing proof of ownership, but I do believe it requires some time and dedication (even if you have clear evidence like the mailed letter) since others can still challenge the evidence as falsified (and that means some form of investigation which might end up costing you some money). And I believe that if you provide a sealed letter against someone who might have it registered there is automatically an investigation.

So it works, but registering still has its value.