Gaia ships on Danubis map are OP

Purgator_

8 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

When garrisoned, a ship shoots +1 arrow per garrisoned infantry. Every arrow deals 35 damage. 

I haven't looked into it, but all ships are broken deal high damage. see 

Yep, I know that when you garrison more troops = ship shoots more projectiles / causes more damage.

But which troops should be garrisoned into that Pontos ship so it looks like it is shooting those large bolts? I cannot reproduce that "tank ship" :|

Edited by Purgator_

7 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Easy solution: Never play Danubius! : D

The bolts are a graphic issue. They look nice though and are better visible than arrows, so I wouldnt mind all arrows look like this. Projectiles are just too small to be seen, especially slinger bullets.

Some games use arrow trails I believe give better visual

• Like 2

On 04/02/2022 at 12:45 PM, LetswaveaBook said:

When garrisoned, a ship shoots +1 arrow per garrisoned infantry. Every arrow deals 35 damage. 

I haven't looked into it, but all ships are broken deal high damage. see 

Now for the follow-up question. Does the "arrow" benefit differ differ between sword units and archer units?

Or to phrase it differently, do you still get the "arrow" benefit with a non-range unit garrisoned in a ship?

As a similar side question: Both towers and forts have an "arrow" benefit when a unit is garrisoned in one.

Do archers add "extra' arrows beyond what a non-ranged unit would provide when garrisoned in a tower or fort?

down the road, I would actually love to see some boat differentiation, maybe into classes:

• light warship: fast, scouting, weaker
  • trade and fishing obv.
  • heavy warship.
  • some kind of troop transport designated ship with higher garrison and no arrows?
  • demo class, not all civs have this likely
  • maybe a new class of counter-ship boat that is more expensive and available p2?

Im sure others have ideas, and I think there was a topic for this.

Perhaps alongside updated ship movement (see below), this would be a nice addition in the future.

Maybe it would be nice to slightly scale down the ships or maybe their footprint/hitbox, just so they can navigate more easily (although maybe this is more of a pathfinding issue)

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

On 06/02/2022 at 8:15 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Is funny have environment + Gaia vs the player.

Too bad we don't have more maps like this.

TBH, I never managed to win on both, except with max resources on Napata, and even then, Gaia often killed my opponent before I did. I admit I'm probably not a very good player, but Danubius is insanely hard in my case. The problem with Gaia attacks is that they never cease. Even if one destroys some of their resources, they have limitless reinforcements. There are maps where it's bearable, like the Gallic land ("Terres gauloises" in French"), but on Danubius, it's simply too difficult for me. IT's bad, because the map is beautiful, and if Gaia was less powerful, it would have been an interesting challenge.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SolarEagle said:

TBH, I never managed to win on both, except with max resources on Napata, and even then, Gaia often killed my opponent before I did. I admit I'm probably not a very good player, but Danubius is insanely hard in my case. The problem with Gaia attacks is that they never cease. Even if one destroys some of their resources, they have limitless reinforcements. There are maps where it's bearable, like the Gallic land ("Terres gauloises" in French"), but on Danubius, it's simply too difficult for me. IT's bad, because the map is beautiful, and if Gaia was less powerful, it would have been an interesting challenge.

The first attacks are difficult.

10 hours ago, SolarEagle said:

@Lion.KanzenExactly! One has barely the time to go to the second phase that Gaia attacks with battering rams.

Build more spear and sword units than ranged units first.  Prioritize rams when attacked.  Don't go p2 immediately.  Do p2 after first or 2nd round of attacks.  Make sure to always be mainly melee (spear/sword) until champions and you'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dizaka said:

Build more spear and sword units than ranged units first.  Prioritize rams when attacked.  Don't go p2 immediately.  Do p2 after first or 2nd round of attacks.  Make sure to always be mainly melee (spear/sword) until champions and you'll be fine.

that was testing. turtling and full wood gathering. 90% spearman or melee infantry.

I won it without phase 2. Turtling , with houses and palisades ( rams focus this before been destroyed).

less than 25 min it took me to win.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips and I'll try it! I used spear infantry, but I have to play another civ than Ptolemies like I did the last time! :rolleyes:

I prioritized rams before, and built two caserns to build infantry on two sides of my territory, but it wasn't enough. Furthermore, I'll try with Britons, Gauls or Maurya, or other civs which have faster spearmen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love Danubius. I have beaten Gaia a few times using Seleucids.
There is one map I like. It has many cliffs and mesas that I can climb and defend. It also has some narrow channels so I can attack the Gaia ships with war elephants.
Is it possible to replay a game using the exact same map, same Gaia, but a different faction. I want to try Mauryas.
Thanks for who ever designed that map..Well done.

• Like 1