Sea surges kill thousands in Asia

It happened sometimes around 23h00 25th december (UTC) since I heard of it about 30 minutes after then. Indeed it's huge. Tsunami went on the shores of Sri Lanki, India, Bengladesh, Indonesia (Sumatra) and Thailand, and maybe elsewhere. This provoked the worst damage, since the earthquake itself was submarine.

CBC reported 44 000 dead this morning, and that number is still going to rise.

I'm not sure exactly how this compares to other events, relatively it's not that huge a number, though that isn't accounting for how many more people may die from being cut off from supplies, how many more bodies will be found, the damage to infrastructure, and the aftermath of the event in the region. Perhaps a bit blunt in my saying it, for as Stalin said, a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. The concept of a tsunami, however, really emphasizes the devastation of this event.

It shows that we can still be humbled before what destruction the earth can create. You may not be using the right adjective, Tim, because I don't think this is one of the most horrible events in manhood, because what will happen is that people will come together to repair the loss. It is destructive, yes, but if the morals of men hold true, there is light in this. What is terrible is when men destroy one another.