WFG Engine

Historicity

a] As Malte said, we're not a profit-making organisation. We plan to use the engine exclusively for in-house Wildfire Games development projects, which will be released as freeware.

b] Selling an engine that's still under development would be like selling a bag of spare parts and calling it a car. :P

Let me just clarify the situation (I think there may be some confusion between releasing the game(s) and releasing the engine source) ...

0 A.D. and TLA will be released as freeware, so you can download the games for no cost.

The distribution will include a compiled executable of the engine used to run the game's assets, but the engine itself isn't open source (ie we won't be releasing the engine source code), much like most commercial projects (except that you download 0 A.D, for free, and it's made by amateurs rather than people who do this for a living).

But the games are designed with the intent of moddability (a lot of gameplay logic is scripted rather than being hardcoded into the engine and unchangeable), with open formats to make it a little more flexible than many commercial games to alter the game data to make and install mods, if you so desire.

OK. What I meant to say is would you be releasing all textures, eye candy models, etc, for new game developers...,

We've spent years as "new game developers" making such things on our own... :P

Game development is not a walk in the park, it's an intense and very long process involving many communicative, dedicated, and passionate (nearly insane) people, and a lot of real life sacrifices. So if I were you I wouldn't expect game development to be sort of something that comes so easily. It takes quite a lot to build a game, as we have learned.

We're planning to include "non-essential" assets (ie anything not used by the official campaigns and random maps; those just intended for custom scenarios, stuff that we made but was later superceded, that kind of thing) in an optional download pack, so scenario designers can use that stuff without making average gamers download extra content they aren't going to use. The stuff used in the official maps will also be easily available for placement in your own scenarios or for modification. I hope that answers your question. This article may give you some more details if you haven't already read it.

A hearty amen to Adam's points. :P

• 5 weeks later...