Preferred Approach to Garrisoning Towers and Fortresses?

Thales

Thoughts concerning the preferred approach to garrisoning troops in towers and fortresses. As a broad statement, there are two generic types of units: swordsman and archers.

I assume that swordsman would be most useful when a fortress or a tower is in direct physical attack by the enemy. Archers most useful for stopping enemy units approaching the tower/fortress or killing enemy units attempting to pass by.

The implication. Swordsman would be more useful (garrisoned) near the front and not really as necessary in the rear areas. Archers would be useful in all locations. Especially useful for providing area coverage near the community center and/or fields to kill the occasional enemy unit that gets past the front.

high level play is the following:

- do not garrison anything before attack

- ranged troops are faster, so put them to gather the resources farther behind

- if a tower is next to the opponent's border, keep some military presence next to it, so you don't risk losing the tower. soldiers should br gathering resources nearby, but if there aren't any, or if it's too risky, you can keep the tower garrisoned, it won't be a huge loss to keep some 3 units idle.

- when an attacking force shows up, retreat your forward forces (supposing the attackers are in majority) and at the same time, call forward your back units. a good way to retreat is to hide your units into buildings until the rest of them comes to help, if a defensive building next to the troops can't take them all, call them out from the back of the building while others are coming in from the front, this way you will make units teleport from one side of the building to the other.

- when you finally face the attacking army, be sure it's with all the men you can dispose of, and empty all buildings as well. soldiers fight better on the open.

- if you lose a fight (supposing you don't want to resign) hide your units into buildings to save the units , the buildings from conquer, and to shoot arrows on the enemy too, if possible.

Your response invoked something I had not considered. That is that the area my civilization covers is larger than the screen. At times enemy units have snuck past my front and have created havoc around the civic center and fields. These enemy units, at times, were off screen, so it took a while to see them and react. Also I have had a couple of cases of two-fronts (I'm attacking on one front but defending on a second from), meaning that it takes a while for reinforcements to get to the breach. This of course, means some troops have to be left behind as a defensive measure. Thanks for your response.

16 hours ago, Thales said:

Your response invoked something I had not considered. That is that the area my civilization covers is larger than the screen. At times enemy units have snuck past my front and have created havoc around the civic center and fields. These enemy units, at times, were off screen, so it took a while to see them and react. Also I have had a couple of cases of two-fronts (I'm attacking on one front but defending on a second from), meaning that it takes a while for reinforcements to get to the breach. This of course, means some troops have to be left behind as a defensive measure. Thanks for your response.

I have proposed special alarms for that.

I'm even thinking of using outpost to raise an alarm if they see an enemy. (If an enemy is spotted in range of seek.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I have proposed special alarms for that.

I'm even thinking of using outpost to raise an alarm if they see an enemy. (If an enemy is spotted in range of seek.

I've already proposed that in some other thread. Currently the outpost provides only extended map view, but why it couldn't be used for raising an alarm when enemy is spotted? Maybe with a use of some researchable technology?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

I've already proposed that in some other thread. Currently the outpost provides only extended map view, but why it couldn't be used for raising an alarm when enemy is spotted? Maybe with a use of some researchable technology?

There are already presedents in Empire Earth 2 of outpost giving alarm at the sight of enemies.

In AoE IV it is the scouts using whistles. Those who give the alert.

I don't know if an upgrade is adequate.