Welsh

LONGBOW

Welsh as we know them really didn't didn't come about untill after 0 A.D.'s time period has ended. Welsh were formed as the 'barabarians' (Angles, Jutes, and Saxons) invaded. After the massive invasion, a series of wars (called the Anglo-Saxon Wars) and a plague, the celtic people on the british isle became a minority. When that happened, the celtic people were pushed to the western edges of the island and settled in the area of Wales and Cornwall. Interestingly the term "Welsh" means foreigner in Anglo-Saxon.

Anyway, all of this didn't happen untill after 0 A.D.'s time period was over, and this includes the longbows also.

Yep, off the top of my head there are:

Persian recurved bows

Greek short bows

Mauritainian bows

Roman recurved bows

Parthian horn-sinew horse bows

and of course there is the greatest bow of the ancient world

THE HUNNIC COMPOSITE RECURVED BOW!!! *bows repeatedly*

Okay I just got myself banned there, but you get the point :P

BTW y'all be sure to watch the History Channel on Jan 19 to see how the Huns use that thing :P

You know, longbows are the reason the English did so well against the French. For example, in the Hundred Years War, sure the French eventually beat the English, but I mean, they lost a lot more than England did. The French outnumbered the English pretty badly. Longbows were the "secret" of the English's success. Also, Agincourt, the English massacred the enemies guys (they were French, right... yeah it was the French... yeah...., correct me if I am wrong, but I think I'm right). :P

Conclusion? Longbows pwn!

Well its mainly because it is a weapon of the Middle Ages and the ancients actually had better technology (including bows) than the English/French/Burgundians/etc. The Hunnic bow, if IRC could shoot 400 yards with specialized arrow, although the actual combat range of bows is much shorter. One book I have says that on horseback the effective range of a horse archer (despite skill) was only about 40 yards or so. Plus the longbow would not shoot 200 yards and still punch through armor, because war arrows are heavy and that shortens range.

Plus none of the 0 AD civs used a longbow. Its a very Middle Ages weapon. And Celts would not use it because they found bows and ranged weapons cowardly to use. Javelins seemed to be exempt because you could get close with those, but strangely enough slings were super common :P Plus what bows they did have were definately not longbows.

Yeah siege engines are big and macho so they don't count :D Where's the danger in operating a bow when you could be smashed to pulp by the backfiring of your onager? B)

Also, bows are generally only useful before the main battle commences - afterwards, you'll likely hurt more of your own men than of the enemy if you start firing into the dense mass down there (Rome portraits this in a great way - ever commanded a Archer Auxilia to fire while they were standing in the middle of another unit? No? Well, the better don't try, you won't want to see the result).

Also, regarding onagers: That surely depends on what kind of ammunition you're using - if you use the standard Roman "the heavier the better" ammunition or even dead animal corpses (like the Romans did some times), nothing suprises me...

Although I have to say that generally, the Roman siege engines were very accurate and did a lot more harm to the enemy than to their own men (see Flavius Josephus and his descriptions of the siege engines at Jerusalem).