DDOS protection one more topic on it, why not?

Emperior

DDOS one more topic on it, why not?

Maybe, someday players will be listened, maybe hosts will be able to make devs do something about ddos protection.

Hi everyone,

It seems quite a bit of time when I have posted last time on forums. Seems like we have the same issue after 2 and half years with hosts being ddosed. Usually, that's unknown players doing that. Balance of units sucks trully but that can be survived if we have survived with bad unit balance and non-stop gameplay changes but ddos'sing makes the game unplayable.

I think yesterday we had a record of 10+ started games and 8 games which we trully did not play due hosts being ddosed. *(Please make a note: few people tried to host.)

1. Can 0ad devs hide hosts IP or visable only for hosts who is actuall provider of the match? If players hosts the game without connecting to lobby cannot rejoin the game once the connection is lost.

OR

2. Can we get warning ingame for hosts with pointed out IP of the ddos? So we can copy it and somehow block it?

3. Open to sugestions.

@elexis@user1

@Stan`@fabio@Freagarach

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Emperior said:

2. Can we get warning ingame for hosts with pointed out IP of the ddos? So we can copy it and somehow block it?

That the whole point of "Distributed Denial Of Service". It is many many IP's trying to connect to your server. All requests are blocked (since nothing is listening), but the shear blocking is sucking the bandwidth. Probably the initiator is not even part of the ddos.

38 minutes ago, Emperior said:

1. Can 0ad devs hide hosts IP or visable only for hosts who is actuall provider of the match?

AFAIK, that is already the case. Do notice that someone who wants to join *needs* the IP, since it cannot join otherwise (if you want to send a postcard to someone, you will need the address...).

1 hour ago, Player of 0AD said:

I'd like to remind that it would be really helpful if matches could be loaded. That would decrease the damage of the "ddosing" already a lot. The savegame could easily be extracted from the replay.

I don't want to bother the devs with what is asked over and over again, but this would seem to be really useful if the DDOSing can not be solved directly.

@Stan` I know A26 might be to soon, but could one of the requirements for A27 please be having saved games for multiplayer?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bb_ said:

That the whole point of "Distributed Denial Of Service". It is many many IP's trying to connect to your server. All requests are blocked (since nothing is listening), but the shear blocking is sucking the bandwidth. Probably the initiator is not even part of the ddos.

AFAIK, that is already the case. Do notice that someone who wants to join *needs* the IP, since it cannot join otherwise (if you want to send a postcard to someone, you will need the address...).

What if the lobby / game would hide that IP even when joining lobby? rather than giving an actuall ip, why not give ID? System need to know which IP to connect, not player. Until the servers will be hosted from vps or any other type of server.

Simply, just not knowing the IP would solve issues with being targeted (ddosed). System could be connecting to the game through lobby which does display servers to reconnect. Even there could be list of servers hosted listed on the www. (simillar to lobby) which You can press reconnect?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emperior said:

What if the lobby / game would hide that IP even when joining lobby? rather than giving an actuall ip, why not give ID? System need to know which IP to connect, not player. Until the servers will be hosted from vps or any other type of server.

You only give your IP when joining a match, because you need to connect to the host computer. In A23B you would give it when joining the lobby.

• 1 month later...

Today I experienced something like a DDOS when hosting a large TG. I managed to capture this screenshot wwhen exititng the lobby:

1653211095_Screenshot2022-03-15202741.png.4bc5eba03d55cd069d758076faa42bda.png

What is XML parse error?

Is this a DDOS?

Note: my home network was disabled for 2 minutes after the game crashed, then it magically restored itself to full speed when I opened instagram