Territory mod

ValihrAnt

Gameplay mod altering Civic Center & Military Colony cost and territory range. I feel like the currently exorbitant cost of CCs and their vast territory completely negates any interesting gameplay elements the territory mechanic can bring and only ends up with it being a negative. Players have all resources they could ever want in reach and the vast price of CCs makes securing new territory needless or trying to squeeze your opponent out of resources almost impossible.

The mod also includes some economy bonus ideas, which already have patches made and are more detailed in:

The territory changes will be made into a patch if after some test games the changes are liked.

Territory:

Reduce Territory influence gain from 30% to 25% in P2 and from 50% to 25% in P3
    Reduce Civic Center cost to 350 Wood + 300 Stone
    Reduce Colony cost to 200 Wood + 200 Stone and no metal
    Increase Mil Col Territory Radius to 95 Meters from 80 Meters.

Eco:
    Kush Pyramid eco bonus (Available in P1, cost from 300Stone + 100Metal to 150Stone, Range from 60m to 50m
    Sele Farming eco bonus (+15% farming speed in 20m radius of farmstead
    Mace Storehouse eco bonus (Instant research time)
    Rome pop bonus (Eco and Military structures give +2 pop space, like the old briton and gaul bonus)
    Athen research time bonus (15% faster tech research)

TerritoryMod.pyromod TerritoryMod.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

First impressions after 2 4X4 vs AI:

In a normal sized Mainland game  (or in any smallish map) its nice that the second CC does not dominate as big a chunk of the map.  I can claim a fair amount of resources without blocking my allies from their own expansion.  Plus I can put down a CC earlier to protect the nearest  ally on the edge if I'm in the pocket.  If I'm on the edge I can use that CC to hem in the enemy I'm facing on the border.  Usually I would have to use barracks and towers.  The CC gives me many more options for a more reasonable price.  Its 

Also with the Romans that little housing plus from other buildings gives more wiggle room when close to being housed.

The only downside that I've yet to see is the annoying tendency of the AI to want a build a CC on any obscure corner or gap on the map.  I would expect the smaller CC coverage to leave many new holes to build on. But that at the same time makes it more interesting for everyone.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2022 at 8:21 PM, ValihrAnt said:

I feel like the currently exorbitant cost of CCs and their vast territory completely negates any interesting gameplay elements the territory mechanic can bring and only ends up with it being a negative

Capturing is the biggest reason, people playing tiny sized maps another and finally the ever reduced average game duration is what made territory less important than it was.

This potentially breaks carefully crafted maps, acropolis bay might even be affected.

Something else to think about here is build distance restrictions.

Reduce Civic Center cost to 350 Wood + 300 Stone

A civic center gives 20 population (2 houses), can train military (1 barracks) and is a dropsite for wood/minerals. So in that sense it is worth at least 600 wood and 100 wood. I am ignoring the fact that it allows to funciton as a food dropsite, provides territory expanse and has defensive capabilities.

So I would think 350 wood and 300 stone is to cheap, especially if you are Carthage or have the Seleucid team bonus.

I think territory increase for p3 could go down. However I would like something to compensate for it, like cheaper theatres for Greeks.

17 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

So I would think 350 wood and 300 stone is to cheap

I would say add 100 metal. It should still cost just a little of these resources, since you should have a balanced eco to put down CC's. I think otherwise there could be CC spam. 

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

9 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

So I would think 350 wood and 300 stone is to cheap, especially if you are Carthage or have the Seleucid team bonus.

I think it is too cheap as well, 500 wood 300 stone (civic center) sounds a bit better in my opinion. Keep in mind the build time is a lot longer than 2 houses, 1 barracks, and a storehouse. I do like the removal of the metal cost though.