easy balance/gameplay changes that should be added to the next alpha

Add team bonuses to civs that don't currently have any worthwhile ones. Britons, Carthaginians, Persians, Athenians. We need to prevent these civs from continuing to the next alpha having no team bonuses and continuing to complain about iberian bonus being op. These civs, and frankly all civs, should have bonuses comparable to iberians, ptols, gauls, and romans.

• Athenians: "Democracy" -50% phase up time and -50% cost
  • Persians: Something with cavalry. maybe cavalry train time like romans have for inf?
  • Carthage: idk.... something good. Perhaps house discount?
  • Britons: +10% movement speed for inf.

Heros:

• Agis 3, and Athenian heros besides iphricates need relevant bonuses/auras
  • nerf indibil to (-20% cost +20% train time)
  • Some ptol hero nerf?

basic unit rebalances: small bonuses to spearcav (armor? cav counter?), cs archer,(damage?) and small nerf to pikemen (hack armor?).

We need to agree to the substance of these balance changes in this discussion if we want change to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@alre that sounds good actually. Probably not as a team bonus tho. Also, people should not freak out about this as maur can already move out the eles.

My main fear is that A26 comes by and some of those big topics we all discussed don't get addressed. For example, pretty much everyone agrees that those civs I mentioned need better team bonuses. I don't care too much about the bonus itself, it just can't be too general to be strategizeable or too specific to apply to most civs. Personally, I think the -50% phase up time and cost would lead to very creative strategies.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

5 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Athenians: "Democracy" -50% phase up time and -50% cost

This should probably extend to all CC techs, since it's not possible to target a bonus to only specific techs of an ally, only the researcher component of an ally's building.

Carthage: idk.... something good. Perhaps house discount?

Yes, remove their "Colonization" tech and make it a civ or team bonus.

Persians: Something with cavalry. maybe cavalry train time like romans have for inf?

Yes, plausible. 

Britons: +10% movement speed for inf.

Again, not bad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

These civs, and frankly all civs, should have bonuses comparable to iberians, ptols, gauls, and romans.

Ptol and Iber have the strongest team bonusses by far IMHO. If someone has one of these bonusses, then they will clearly outboom you. Not much you can do about that. So your performance is highly impacted by whether you have these team bonusses. I think player skill should be more important than whether you have a certain team bonus on your side. By that logic the Ptol and Iber team bonus are stronger than they should be.

What I would consider a fine team bonus for balance sake is the one of the Mauryans. If you had taken a fight and want to recover your units, then building an easy temple is very useful. Also the temple is useful for its aura to help with defending. Finally if you would want to do a fanatic rush, then they team bonus gives you a nice edge to be able to get fanatics 30 seconds earlier.

8 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Carthage: idk.... something good. Perhaps house discount?

I like bonusses to be visible instead of just a stat change. For Carthage the bonus could be: Markets 40% less cost&build time and first merchant is free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LetswaveaBook said:

Ptol and Iber have the strongest team bonusses by far IMHO. If someone has one of these bonusses, then they will clearly outboom you. Not much you can do about that. So your performance is highly impacted by whether you have these team bonusses. I think player skill should be more important than whether you have a certain team bonus on your side. By that logic the Ptol and Iber team bonus are stronger than they should be.

My honest opinion is that team bonuses are an unnecessary complication. The inherent civ strengths and weaknesses should be enough to make for some nice and interesting team combos without resorting to the extra layer of team bonuses. 

EDIT: I'm probably in the minority here.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2