Rant: randomly banned from the lobby

Yekaterina

4 minutes ago, smiley said:

The smurf rule is actually dumb, so I agree with you on that. Preventing new accounts is an overstep. There is no reason for forcing people players into the same identity. I literally quit the whole game after being banned several times even though the identity was not even a mystery. Which also resulted in me deleting a forum account and also causing irreparable damage with relations here. So, you know, pick your poison I guess. Either don't smurf or don't play.

Personally I understand you, I myself made more than one account on the forum.

Other times I do Ostrasism to avoid debates, controversies and to lower the discomfort.

@Stan` @user1 @Lion.Kanzen @smiley @Dizaka  I have an OP idea that will lead us out of this argument:

Each account gets 2 names: a 'player name' and a 'fixed name'. Similar to most social media.

The 'player name' can be changed to whatever they want - so no need to create new accounts just because they are bored with their old nickname

The 'fixed name' can only be set once, when the account was being created. So, you can still easily identify who is who. Obviously people won't use their real life names but it is an effective way to reduce smurfs. 

This is my instagram account, just to illustrate the idea:

image.png.071db78e01e70be9bebc8916c735d0e6.png

The fixed name in this case is yekaterina2.71828, and the nickname (player name) is Kate, which I can change. 

Ratings don't change, of course. 

Sometimes people just want to get a funny nickname  for a bit then change it, and I don't see an issue with this. For example, if you want to play ptols then you can name yourself Ptololo, then the next game you want to try Macedon and you call yourself Macedonians.

• Like 1

@Player of 0AD I know you hate smurfs the most. Tell me, what do you think about this proposal? Just change the nickname but the fixed name stays constant so you still know who I am and my skill level, meanwhile I can enjoy the fun of funny nicks. So I think this is a good middleground compromise for the two types of people. 

Think: you can join mumble servers with whatever weird name you want... so why not 0ad?

21 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Someone just turning up with a different name, then talks politely and is honest about their skills

If one is honest with skill while balancing teams and has well-known account, why to hide it in a first place. After some time players will notice player on certain account is good unless they don't play to their best skills on purpose but then they are not honest about their skill in the first place.

On 25/01/2022 at 2:39 PM, Yekaterina said:

No matter who I am in real life, it doesn't matter in the 0ad lobby

It doesn't. No one knows it even with one account.

On 25/01/2022 at 2:11 PM, Yekaterina said:

Frankly, I don't understand why this game bans people for creating another account

If someone's account is banned for breaking TOS, by this rule all their access is restricted. But one can't trust anyone because people lie, when they can.

On 25/01/2022 at 2:11 PM, Yekaterina said:
  • The TG host asks them for rating or maybe previous name. If they are honest about skill level and didn't mess up balance then fine, let them play. It doesn't matter whether their real identity is hamdich or kate or feldfeld (all 3 could be the same person ;) ), as long as they bring fun to your TG, we are all chill. 
  • If the player lies about rating then trolls or smurfs with malicious intent of messing up TGs, then we can report them to User1 and give them an IP ban

If there is one account per person, this is not needed because good players would be recognised automatically. Or by gained rating or just by their name.

So let's say one wants to play on lower level and will play the way the balancing will not be broken even if one can play better. Are 2 accounts per person enough? Supposing one keeps their playstyle on lower level one would not be discovered as smurfer so there is no need to have more than 2 accounts for that purpose.

If one can't do it they will create more and more accounts because others notice they are good player?

22 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Changing your 0ad username is like changing your appearance, which means nothing to everyone else. Do you really care about the DNA of the dude behind the screen?

If you change your appearance people still recognise you when they meat you or talk with you, unless you do the drastic change and change also your voice and name.

In lobby, username is everything others have to recognise you as a player. No one cares who sits there irl.

Yes, changing username could be an option that for now is not possible like changing the password. Lets suppose it is allowed to change the username. Lets imagine player A changes username to Y and some malicious user B changes username to A and tries to destroy reputation of that player. That's currently not possible unless someone knows password of the player A. So here is example why changing username can be dangerous feature.

10 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

@Stan` @user1 @Lion.Kanzen @smiley @Dizaka  I have an OP idea that will lead us out of this argument:

Each account gets 2 names: a 'player name' and a 'fixed name'. Similar to most social media.

The 'player name' can be changed to whatever they want - so no need to create new accounts just because they are bored with their old nickname

The 'fixed name' can only be set once, when the account was being created. So, you can still easily identify who is who. Obviously people won't use their real life names but it is an effective way to reduce smurfs. 

This is my instagram account, just to illustrate the idea:

image.png.071db78e01e70be9bebc8916c735d0e6.png

The fixed name in this case is yekaterina2.71828, and the nickname (player name) is Kate, which I can change. 

Ratings don't change, of course. 

Sometimes people just want to get a funny nickname  for a bit then change it, and I don't see an issue with this. For example, if you want to play ptols then you can name yourself Ptololo, then the next game you want to try Macedon and you call yourself Macedonians.

That's why I suggest a token ID.

I have participated in the most toxic Spanish-speaking forums.

In several are anonymous in others with user.

When there is harassment what I did was to make multi-accounts.

I even once pretended to be Brony.

The cyberbullying is wrong but it is more an issue of society, than control.

As there is harassment, the culture of cancellation and deplorable behaviors.

The best thing is to try to be anonymous. And facilitate those tools instead of starting to censor everything.

If not see the cases of Xbox and AOE censorship.

They couldn't even play anymore.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

2 minutes ago, Silier said:

If one is honest with skill while balancing teams and has well-known account, why to hide it in a first place

I am not trying to hide anything all I want is a new nickname! Yekaterina is not even my real name nor did I invent the name myself, and I've had enough of it!

3 minutes ago, Silier said:

Yes, changing username could be an option that for now is not possible like changing the password. Lets suppose it is allowed to change the username. Lets imagine player A changes username to Y and some malicious user B changes username to A and tries to destroy reputation of that player. That's currently not possible unless someone knows password of the player A. So here is example why changing username can be dangerous feature.

Maybe we can disallow changing your nickname to already taken options. If someone choses to be Kate then there can't be a second Kate. But Kate- is allowed and u can see that it's not the same person (otherwise why add a - after your name)

1 minute ago, Yekaterina said:

I am not trying to hide anything all I want is a new nickname! Yekaterina is not even my real name nor did I invent the name myself, and I've had enough of it!

I didn't say you do. :) I was reacting to the statement I quoted.

4 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Maybe we can disallow changing your nickname to already taken options. If someone choses to be Kate then there can't be a second Kate. But Kate- is allowed and u can see that it's not the same person (otherwise why add a - after your name)

You missed my point. A->X means A is available so B->A is valid from system point, unless obsolent database will be kept with all previous names.

4 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

For example in Yekaterinas case, you could just see  replays, of them playing 1v1, or TGs ( one was uploaded to yt even) to have prove that two players are involved.

Yes. And certain people try to prove we are the same person xD. There was 1 guy who proved that I am hamdich and I cound't argue against him xD

4 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

anonymity for maybe being molested with their original account people could explain their situation aswell.

Totally agreed

5 minutes ago, Silier said:

obsolent database will be kept with all previous names.

That is exactly what I am talking about. Considering the player base of 0ad and each character takes up 1 byte only, I think it is affordable...

3 minutes ago, Silier said:

who will write it.

Please teach me!! I am willing to do it but now sure how!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silier said:

If one is honest with skill while balancing teams and has well-known account, why to hide it in a first place.

people does that. some players use multiple accounts for whatever reason, without even hiding it. some other try to hide who they are, but are honest about their level.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

avoid being targeted ...because reputation?

Yes... some people in the lobby has been saying: 'just rush her and you will win' 

There is some element of truth in that, but, I can defend against a single rush like everyone else, but I can't stand a double rush or triple rush! I don't think you can, neither! Also in 1v1s if I get no hunt then I am quite dead, because any non-cosmic player would go all in on cav and rush me. Now, quite a few players have suicided to me this way, but others who got more hunt than me could beat me with camels. You can't really defend against javelin cavs or camels unless you have your own cav, but no hunt = no cav

Edited by Yekaterina

16 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Yes... some people in the lobby has been saying: 'just rush her and you will win' 

There is some element of truth in that, but, I can defend against a single rush like everyone else, but I can't stand a double rush or triple rush! I don't think you can, neither! Also in 1v1s if I get no hunt then I am quite dead, because any non-cosmic player would go all in on cav and rush me. Now, quite a few players have suicided to me this way, but others who got more hunt than me could beat me with camels. You can't really defend against javelin cavs or camels unless you have your own cav, but no hunt = no cav

You have given me another idea. In multiplayer mode team vs team, add a mode where you don't know who you're playing with at the beginning of the game.

You can /nick in the lobby. The command isn't available in the chat of course, but you can open the console and run `Engine.LobbySetNick("new_name")` which would change the nickname.

12 hours ago, Silier said:

That's currently not possible unless someone knows password of the player A. So here is example why changing username can be dangerous feature.

You can nick to the same name with an invisible character added and you could impersonate someone while they are on the same chat. I have seen this happen on the lobby, so its very much possible.

Regardless, since JIDs are not displayed, only nicks are, and since XMPP doesn't consider nicks identifiable, its a builtin feature of the lobby to be able to impersonate people. Its entirely possible to nick to the exact same name of someone offline.

Edited by smiley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

@Player of 0AD I know you hate smurfs the most. Tell me, what do you think about this proposal? Just change the nickname but the fixed name stays constant so you still know who I am and my skill level, meanwhile I can enjoy the fun of funny nicks. So I think this is a good middleground compromise for the two types of people. 

The custom rating mod already covers this