Non-standardised building sizes

Yekaterina

I have noticed that the size of each building varies across the civs, for example, Persians have very big farmsteads, meanwhile Britons and Iberians have tiny farmsteads. The size of farmsteads may sound insignificant but they can actually affect your efficiency greatly; in early game, Britons can squeeze a farmstead into the gaps within a patch of berries, whereas Persians have to place it close to the patch - less efficient. However, in late game, the large Persian farmstead allows you to place tesselate fields around it without having to leave gaps, so they are more efficient at expanding farms in late game. 

Meanwhile, Britons have the smallest CC, Greeks, Kushites, Carthage have medium size CC, then Ptolemies and Romans have extra-large CC. In general, large CC is good because you can teleport units through a greater distance and the walking distance between your starting wood and CC is shorter - more efficient early game gathering. Also, large CCs means you can squeeze more fields around it - another benefit. 

Furthermore, 5-house civs have extra small houses, but Ptolemies have similar house size to 10-house civs. This doesn't seem to matter too much in game although Ptolemies can set up a defensive perimeter around their CC more quickly than others. What I don't understand is why some civs are 5-house and some are 10-house

Is there a reason for why building sizes are designed to be different?

52 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Furthermore, 5-house civs have extra small houses, but Ptolemies have similar house size to 10-house civs. This doesn't seem to matter too much in game although Ptolemies can set up a defensive perimeter around their CC more quickly than others. What I don't understand is why some civs are 5-house and some are 10-house

The difference was for gameplay variety. I actually recommend the game switch to 10 and 15 houses. (100w and 150w respectively)

Large farmsteads can also connect apple trees that are farther apart. Therefore civs with large farmsteads can often connect patches of food resources more efficiently than other civs. There are also trade offs for each house type 5, 10, or 20. Easy to place, afforded earlier, less hassle, using non-wood resource.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007
  • Like 1