Mods

StrikerShot21

Since airplanes weren't in common use in the classical era, implementing that isn't the highest of priorities. In all honestly, we'll probably be more than exhausted enough trying to implement what's required for 0 A.D. However, gameplay script should hopefully be adaptable enough to incorporate such logic in one's mod.

Since airplanes weren't in common use in the classical era

:) This is top-level irony (or how do you say it ;))

IMO airplanes in RTS games are something weird, they can't hoover on one place, which is pretty strange when you have to control them in-game. And if you want to make it a bit real (in this case I mean speed) then it should go so fast that it would be at the other size of the map in no time. Helies fit much better with a RTS than an airplane IMO.

The trick with airplanes or things that fly is the transition from ground to air. I mean, if you wanted you could easily make a mod that has airplanes, but they would have to be harrier or a helecopter or something. You just have its origin off the ground and turn off any boundries.

Flying things in RTS games (if done well) requires some sort of 3d pathfinding (I think BFME is doing something like this for thier dragons and eagles). It also needs some sort of transition animation (or something) of take offs and landings. Neither of which we will probably explore. But, an industrious modder should be able to do about anything with the game if they put thier mind to it.

Flying things in RTS games (if done well) requires some sort of 3d pathfinding (I think BFME is doing something like this for thier dragons and eagles).  It also needs some sort of transition animation (or something) of take offs and landings.  Neither of which we will probably explore.  But, an industrious modder should be able to do about anything with the game if they put thier mind to it.

If there will be support for changing a unit's type (switching from, say villager to archer, like with AOM's villager to ulfsark) and birth animations, it should be possible. I made a takeoff system in AOM using just that and it works quite well.