New Screenshots - 12-03-04

Aeros

Roman Skirmish:

I've 3 crits on the shot (there has to be atleast one wink.gif )

1. I think the water in the well is too blue, it should be darker, especially because it's in a well.

2. I think the wall texture of the buildings aren't very good, they are too grey imo, too blurry.

3. What does the arch resemble in the big building in the center? It seems too small to walk underneath it.

I also have a +point (there is also always atleast one wink.gif )

The grass, trees, rocks, weel etc. look gorgeous!

Why are the screenies so blurry, why aren't they sharp?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's enough lauding of praise already, and I don't think that offers any information.

*DISCLAIMER* These views are extremely picky. No normal person ought to pick out details like this.

I'll give some of my views:

1. I don't think charging horsemen would usually sit upright. If one were going at great speeds the wind would be rather irritating, and one would be likely to crouch somewhat. And maybe the shield would be put in a more protective position.

2. On the scouting the enemy pic, the Iberian scouts are standing behind the rock. Standing. This is not exactly realistic. In addition, rocks that are on the slopes on the right seem to be resting rather unnaturally.

3.In addition to the well water being too blue, it is rather motionless. Perhaps if there were ripples... but this is a freeze-frame screenshot so I have little clue of what I'm talking about.

4. In Stand-Off, the soldiers seem unnaturally calm in their confrontation. They ought to have their shields in defensive positioins.

That's all.

lol....

We may need Bakayarian faults instead of Argalian faults.

A lot of the things you're mentioning aren't in most RTS games anyway. B)

Remember, all these animations (unit poses) are placeholders for the final ones. The game isn't even alpha yet.

But anyway, we always take all comments into consideration.

"Argalian" sounds better than "Bakayarian."

Sounds like some kind of civilization. Maybe if you made an "Argalian Civilization" for an expansion of the game, but that's off topic.

And as for it being not done before in an RTS, I thought the point of 0ad was the rock the socks off of other RTS Titles.

• 1 month later...

something about the ROMAN SKIRMISH screenshot:

The roman buildings have white walls and red roofs, but if i may believe my eyes (I`ve been in a roman fortress once and i`ve been in Rome this summer) Roman buildings have a more kind of orange typ of colored walls (like some of the houses in Ceasar III (not the big villa`s). I believe white walls where for the higher classes .So that was my adding to all supportive comment.

Greetings from Holland

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to go to Rome again this Summer (I probably do since we wil be having our holiday at a location not to far from there)and maybe I`ll make a photo of the people dressed up like roman legionaires and send it to Wildfire

Edited by Vingauld

I believe white walls where for the higher classes

(note - I actually study architecture and architectural history at university)

The vast majority of Roman Houses would have been built with such "orange" bricks. Then white stucco was placed over the bricks to give them a bright, white facade. There were various other types of stone that could have been placed in patterns as an outer covering, though.

Cement walls, called opus caementicium were used, and sometimes concrete walls were faced with irregular slabs of brick, called opus incertem. If they were faced with uniform stones, though it would be called "opus reticulatem".

The vast majority of Roman Houses would have been built with such "orange" bricks.  Then white stucco was placed over the bricks to give them a bright, white facade.  There were various other types of stone that could have been placed in patterns as an outer covering, though.

Cement walls, called opus caementicium were used, and sometimes concrete walls were faced with irregular slabs of brick, called opus incertem.  If they were faced with uniform stones, though it would be called "opus reticulatem".

That's what I heard, too. Even the Roman fortresses on the Limes frontier had this kind of white stucco (the ones made of stone, of course), to make them look more impressive.

I also remember that the insulae in the poor areas of the cities had this stucco, but it was often of poor quality and crumbled from the walls soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that would be nice,but it also takes extra of bandwith when the images are larger (i`ve got ADSL so i don`t have to worrie about downloading times, but some people have got more slow connection speeds and will have to wait veeeeeery long before they can finally see the pictures)