How to Interpret the Kill/Death Ratio?

Thales

kill/death ratio means ratio of enemy units killed/ your units lost. It is an indicator of how well your battles are going. Usually you want to kill your enemy more than he kills you so a KD greater than 1 is good and a KD less than 1 is bad. 

It certainly is possible to win games with KD < 1, but it is not common.

• Thanks 1

Can't look at specific stats individually.  Have to look at the big picture.

You can win games with high k/d ratio while extremely low economic stats (e.g., Carth Merc).

You can win games with extremely low k/d but really high economic stats (e.g., Mauryas/Persians who can outpop other civs by a lot).

You can win games with extremely low k/d and extremely low economic stats (e.g., tying up the best player on other team).

You can win a 1v1 with low k/d but capturing a lot of buildings (e.g., outmaneuvering the other player).

There is no way to interpret the stats just a good way to measure average progress.  There also should be an "idle unit time" stat that takes into account units garrisoned inside structures (except for mercs - that should be a seperate stat).

• Like 1

Well, I'm up to 1.14 for a kill/death ratio. My opponent is down to 0.88 for a kill kill/death ratio.

My "improvement", I suspect is because I am hiding behind walls. Now, I have to develop a break-out strategy, My troops are too widely dispersed as there are two combat fronts. I may also have too many troops garrisoned in the walls and towers.

Edited by Thales

6 minutes ago, Thales said:

Well, I'm up to 1.14 for a kill/death ratio. My opponent is down to 0.88 for a kill kill/death ratio.

My "improvement", I suspect is because I am hiding behind walls. Now, I have to develop a break-out strategy, My troops are too widely dispersed as there are two combat fronts. I may also have too many troops garrisoned in the walls and towers.

If you outnumber your opponent in a fight then you will end up with high k/d. Also research military techs, like the armour upgrades. Use champions and cav as well.

• Thanks 1