I like :-)

Cassius Allanus

Same here. But....

Will they be unlockable in the sense that you won't have knowledge of them or they simply will not work untill you earn it.

If you just are told the codes, people are bound to post the codes on the internet and people will use them anyway. Which kind of makes this feature nearly pointless.

The general idea was that completing the challenge would flag availability of that cheat in your user profile. The code wouldn't work until flagged. Of course, someone could just upload his profile, or figure out how to modify the profile to change which campaigns and challenges he's completed, so even if it's not cheat-code-based, I don't think we could ever get around the unlock being plastered over the Internet in some form (especially with the game being so mod-friendly).

But for those that want to have the satisfaction of completing a single-player challenge and being rewarded for it (rather than the hollow victory of downloading someone else's hack), the option's there.

And cheating won't help them get better either.

I remember when I was bad at RTS games (still am, but not as bad as when I first played AoK) I got into using cheats and it was difficult to get out of using them.

Having people earn the right to use cheats is a far better option.

Some people don't really care that much about getting better. The people don't NEED to get better.

I mean, the thing you're doing is kind of like (well actually is identical to) forcing - forcing, not allowing them to do otherwise, a player to do something, even though it is benficial.

Your way just isn't fair to the noobs playing.

It's just a far worse option.

There's always some way to trick the program into thinking you're not entering a cheat code. Whether the involves something little like changing one file or something huge like decompiling and recompiling the code.

You can't really make it impossible, but you can make it nearly impossible that no sane person would bother to try.