Regicide mode is a joke

Yekaterina

Regicide has never been a popular gamemode, because it is broken:

the hero is given completely randomly, so one player could end up with Scipio Africanus and the other player ends up with Cleopatra. As soon as the game starts, Scipio Africanus can run to Cleopatra's base and murder her. There would be 0 chance the Cleopatra player can defend, because the sword cav is just much stronger than the infantry archer in close combat. Since you cannot garrison heroes, there is nothing that Cleopatra could to to save herself, and therefore the game ends there. 

Furthermore, some heroes give bonuses that are just too OP for booming, making it a very imbalanced game. 

So we need to make changes to make this mode actually playable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Regicide is unpredictable and that is fun.
I once had my CC taken down by an elephant Hero (Hannibal ?) at the start of the game which made me lose in just 2 min. Was that unfair? yes, but would that have happened if it were perfectly balanced? probably never. I think, this is what makes the mode (the current regicide) worth a try and also play it.

Edited by nani
fixed bad english
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, nani said:

Regicide is unpredictable and that is fun.
I once had my CC taken down by an elephant Hero (Hannibal ?) at the start of the game that made me lose in just 2 min, was that unfair? yes, but would that have happened if it was perfectly balanced? probably never and that is was makes the mode the current regicide worth to try and play it.

Regicide nomad w/ team communication is so important.  You can knock out good players by ganking and win early if other team doesn't communicate.  If both teams communicate its a whole messy game that's just juicy.

7 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

There is an option that allows garrisoning the heroes.

Yekaterina, maybe you should wonder if your habit to train only women at the start is always the best approach. Some early soldiers can make a difference in the hero fights.

Can't garrison all heroes.  The elephant can only be garrisoned in an elephant stable ;P.  Option makes that hero player SOL, lol.

• Like 1

Regicide is for quick games and it's fun and players can play a lot of games in the time taken for one conquest alone.

and new players have a chance to win a game with a bit of luck.

4 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

There would be 0 chance the Cleopatra player can defend

unlucky if you get Cleopatra of course, I am worried about players who get acharya Chanakya.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Yekaterina, maybe you should wonder if your habit to train only women at the start is always the best approach. 

That's exactly what I would like you to think, so that you can't recognise my smurf accounts hehehe

2 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

In age of empires 2, Kings do not have any fighting force and I think that would be a better way for regicide.

That's good. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What if, randomly, everyone gets the same hero? Or only heroes of the same class.

That means certain civs aren't played at all.

What if regicide meant kill the "king" and you would spawn with a "king" of a certain class.  In late-game you could still build heroes.

6 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What if, randomly, everyone gets the same hero? Or only heroes of the same class.

I like but, but same hero is tough because it requires everyone to be the same civ. Same class could work but it a little tricky because some hero’s are ele which most civs don’t have and then there are other hero’s that are something other civs don’t have, but I suppose you could unmount cav heroes or make other similar adjustments. And there is also the fact that some heroes of the same class type are very good while others are basically worthless after the first five minutes. 

this all goes back to how the game isn’t fully built yet and there are large swaths that need to be improved if a random game mode like nomad is ever going to pretend to be fair. 

With all that said, the easiest solution is also the most obvious here: let players chose their hero at the start 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Implement DE's hero choice feature. Done.

Actually, it needs a lot of work. The selection buttons should be cobbled together by the GUI code, the way it does for the structure tree, rather than using static png images I made in Photoshop. Something more along the lines of Hyrule:Conquest's hero selection screen.

• 1 month later...

I think a regicide mode where:

1: you select the hero, and

2: the hero's attack, defense, and health scaled up based on phase level

would be nice. 

For example, for an infantry hero's hp: 250 in p1, 500 in p2, 1000 in p3.

The heroes are way too strong for the early game.  But if heroes were defenseless like the kings in age of empires I think it would be too scary to try to utilize their combat bonuses.

This idea of scalable hero stats might also be useful in non-regicide games modes if development ever goes the route of making certain heroes available before p3.

• Like 2

On 26/01/2022 at 9:20 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

why don't we make heroes for this mode, everyone starts with a sword and the next level can already be a swordman.

Kind of like an RPG/Moba hero mode.(only the hero)

The hero is starting gaming experience to get upgrades.

I support this new type of unit for regicide. Like how catafalque was made for each civ? Where it is an infantry type unit for all and it has a standard stats and bonuses?

Then localize the names like, basileus, consul, rix and etc.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

I support this new type of unit for regicide. Like how catafalque was made for each civ? Where it is an infantry type unit for all and it has a standard stats and bonuses?

Then localize the names like, basileus, consul, rix and etc.

Agreed. Template could be units/{civ}/hero_herocide 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

While I like these suggestions for improvement, reading all this just makes me want to play a nice regicide. I wonder how many times destroying a CC with the hero elephant has been done successfully. Almost every time I saw someone going for that, including myself, the elephant hero died in the process. It sure can work with good support from your allies, but that rarely happens.