Alternative games and genres: Any scifi or fantasy factions for 0AD?

MirceaKitsune

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now. As we all know 0AD is its own standalone game, with its default factions and setting that takes place in the medieval age. Beyond that it's also a great RTS engine in general. In the mod selection page of the main menu I can see that "0 A.D. Empires Ascendant" (default game) gives you the option to disable it, presumably in favor of running alternative core games instead.

So I wanted to know: Are there any other base games built on the engine? By game I primarily mean to custom factions, presuming any will work with existing maps and biomes granted resources are the same. The ones I'm curious about in particular are those in different genres from the default, meaning either fantasy or futuristic.

As far as fantasy games go: I strongly see 0AD being a fantastic engine for something like Warcraft 3... used to play that as a child and loved the magical atmosphere and different races and factions you could play as. Glest / Megaglest covered this in the FOSS world for some time, its ancient engine is slowly dying and 0AD kinda seems like its replacement. For the scope of my question anything with magic and wizards counts... also other races like orcs or dragons, I'm also wondering if unit assets for these were ever made; Only one I know of is Ponies Ascendant which as a MLP fan I installed and am eager to try out once I find some time for that.

As far as sfici games are concerned, I see this being a great replacement to another fellow FOSS project of 0AD: Spring RTS engine has a few futuristic RTS games available, I wanted to try them out at one point but for some reason its loader always messed up and none of the game packages worked... I prefer 0AD and its architecture anyway and would welcome an alternative here instead. So do we have any factions with computers and holograms and droids and rovers yet?

• Like 1

Hey! You're coming at the right place! :D

For Fantasy games I know Hyrule Conquest, developed from pyrogenesis engine:

I haven't played it yet and I'm not updated on the state of progress.. but seems already pretty advanced from the previews!

About sci-fi: hey! it's a great question because we were exactly trying to think about something like that here :

It's a very early stage, but it would be cool if you want to participate with ideas and contributions, especially if you like the genre and have knowledge of it.

I also like a lot Spring and I would really love to see something like that ported on 0ad! I think there's still a lot of untapped potential!! :)

But, as everything, it will require quite some work and participation to make it happen. I'm currently trying to work on possible concept art, so I would be very curious and interested to get fresh ideas and inspirations

• Like 1

Oh gods, Hyrule Conquest looks very impressive! I'll happily give that a try for sure. The latest trailer indicates they've gotten far with it at this point.

The name Hyrule indicates it's a Zelda fan-mod though. I don't mind of course, just hope I won't have to see another good project go down over Nintendo-style Copyright trolling. It can probably be renamed in a worst case scenario, unless the units are also of IP characters in which case it may be complicated.

I wonder how much of Stella Artis is playable at this point, seems to be a concept with some assets so far. Will definitely follow their thread too.

Only other one I'm seeing is Byzen. It seems to be almost the same theme as vanilla 0AD though so I'll pass for now.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 13/12/2021 at 10:04 PM, MirceaKitsune said:

I wonder how much of Stella Artis is playable at this point, seems to be a concept with some assets so far. Will definitely follow their thread too.

Only other one I'm seeing is Byzen. It seems to be almost the same theme as vanilla 0AD though so I'll pass for now.

A few students at an art school picked it up, so we might have some interesting things coming.

Haven't heard of Byzen.

3 minutes ago, Adeimantos said:

A few years ago I helped a bit with a project making a mod kind of like age of mythology. It didn't get terribly far, but maybe the project could be resurrected, I'd like that.

I've tried to fix it but it's in a very broken state :(