Une fable moderne

(:S

The word fable exists in English, but I do not know if it has the same meaning as in French ...

*checks his dictionary*

yes, it is the same ...

as modern, did she/he mean written in the 20th century?

if so, I really cannot think of anything ... otherwise, I thought of Peau de Chagrin by Balzac, which is definitely a fable ...

Modern writers have stopped writing fables as such, with non-human characters, like De La Fontaine ... they set up their scene into reality ...

Ah, I am thinking of a 20th century writer who wrote fables ... Dino Buzatti (Italian, but wrote in French) ... he wrote le K, a compilation of short-stories, many of which are fables.

Apart from that, I am afraid you will have to rely upon yourself :P

And whatever happens, post the test in here on Friday evening :S

In French, "fable" is closely linked to "fabulation". This is the main part. Fables aren't only stories to pass a moral message. All sorts of story can do such. What's different in the "fable" is that the story, even somewhat logic, isn't possible. In a "fable", you "fabulate", you imagine some non-sensical things in order to pass your message.

Those non-sensical things are there to ease the understanding of the meaning of your "fable". Hence, with Lafontainre, we have "La Cigale et la Fourmi", for a procratinator and a daily worker, or "Le Lièvre et la Tortue", for two people, one that goes fast, but only when you reach the end, and one that goes slow, but steadily follows the way each second...

But, you'll never see such story, hence, "Fable".

[Fairy Tales = Contes de Fées, fantastic stories]