New map: The Legend of Avilava (scenario)

Yavin

Hey guys,

since release of alpha 24 in februrary I've worked on some special map as my old alpha 23 map has been deleted by installing alpha 24 - don't know how and why. This new map, The Legend of Avilava, shall be it's replacement.

I've tried to make this something unique - featuring huge mountains and dense forrests, including marshes and tiny pahts to walk on troughout the map. Furhtermore, I tried to depict the landscape with lots on beauty and small details. I've also included some bridges and quarries to enhance not only the look, regarding the latter to give some players a satisfying amount of resources at their starting position - so that they do not need to build new headquaters in new areas.

The Legend of Avilava generally is based on the the area of eastern france and western germany, splitted by the river Rhine that floats into the English Channel. Behind it the Brits are stationed. However, it is important to note that this map does not aim at depicting geographical accuracy and rather tries to tell some sort of "mystery" about this area and how it could look like based on the imagination of people that were told how central (well, not that central, but you get what I mean) europe does looked like back in 0a.d..

Generally there are 8 players in the map:

• Roman (1): Southeast - starting as the player withouth teammates and thus has already a bigger city and lots of resources at the beginning
  • Gauls (3): Southwest - stationed on the highest mountain; well defendable but may lack of resources
  • Brits (4): Northwest to Northeast - being split into small villages throughout the foresty mountain they firstly need to find space to build and to grow crops on; player 7 & player 8 start with one dock and a merchant ship each

To be honest I have to state that matchmaking was not my first thought while starting to build. I might see some advantage of the Brits since they're able to grow rapidly respectively exponential if they achieve to deforst large areas. Also the Romans may be a bit OP as they start with approximately 60 women, an already existing city and lots of resources - not even mentioning their fortresses, bolt and catapult tower systems.

Nevertheless, for me running simulations with bots had been downright entertaining. Maybe it's just me, but I somehow find Romans fighting against barbarian tribes amusing. ;D For me it's not about winning or loosing - it's about enjoying the beauty of 0ad (especially regarding its graphics and battles!) :)))

But I think I might show you some screenshots of it.

The map on its whole:

screenshot0002.thumb.png.4090de5da5af2cc8b096744756e11c0b.png

The "gallic" mountain / island:

screenshot0019.thumb.png.0c0f5d71d2096ccb505cc31d4d11ffcc.png

The "roman" mountain / island:

screenshot0003.thumb.png.6570b30436e445bc493c22d0a7020866.png

The "british" mountain / island:

screenshot0020.thumb.png.89f128b8ec34c192af466c66dbde36d4.png

To also give a view of the type of landscape we're facing here:

screenshot0004.thumb.png.42b7c10ed42df6b8209c5f8c8c09d96e.pngscreenshot0005.thumb.png.5c0a21c1b1eefd5b9e41814c3f9ba430.pngscreenshot0006.thumb.png.1f754840a6d71386933dde930c3c0f6b.pngscreenshot0007.thumb.png.b6396062e8fde075b54f20bd6decc296.pngscreenshot0013.thumb.png.213f49cff5f3a050b5f5a49552d39261.png

Lastly i want to show the starting positions of each player, starting with the Romans, afterwards the Gauls followed by the Brits (the seventh player does have two beginning headquarters):

screenshot0014.thumb.png.886867bf53ef1f7b84cd16e083d78ece.pngscreenshot0016.thumb.png.6ffc28a451ea15344e9c53685efbec06.pngscreenshot0017.thumb.png.811593114dd71e9cd39db485a4f21440.pngscreenshot0011.thumb.png.c43a93f096ac2075901af3b2c5169d75.pngscreenshot0009.thumb.png.9fd906ed82564c76a801eb75bc55e38d.pngscreenshot0008.thumb.png.e4d41dff776728646ead1a4e7c29edc3.png

screenshot0012.thumb.png.0cac8afc7c654c1c88e16362a19c9a42.png

I hope you can open these files:

Until now, thank you guys for reading my post until this point. Feel free to download and play as long as you want to. If there are some complications or any issues I do my best to fix them - as the name of the files say - it's the seventeenth edition. :)

Edit: As time goes by I will fix little issues and load up new editions of the map. The Legend of Avilava 17; The Legend of Avilava 18 etc.
The Legend of Avilava 18.xmlThe Legend of Avilava 18.pmp

550969231_TheLegendofAvilava17.xml 311602329_TheLegendofAvilava17.pmp

screenshot0015.png

Edited by Yavin
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for your respond and commendation,

I actually had to create about ~75 editions, but the the last 17 of them had been just little fixes or logical / beauty corrections.

- actually I even can tell you something about reaching such polish (thank you if you say so!): Just build. You reach it by building itself - By time you'll notice how something - e.g. the lilies and reed look beautiful if placed (each rotated) behind the bridge's stilts (indicating that there the water wouldn't float too fast resulting in an accumulation of for example plant remains or lilies). Just mean there's no magic formular or 0ad map editor semester, the polish comes on its own. :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

thanks!! 
I was wondering if there was also some hidden trick to create maps procedurally using code and formulas, but I imagine it's a lot of hard work and persistence! :) It's quite an inspiration to be persistent as well, and it will be possible to get some similar results! Thanks a lot!

Well you can, all random maps are. :)

Great work @Yavin! It's always inspiring to see what can be done with the engine. In case you want to put it in the community map mod I'm pinging @andy5995 This way more people can enjoy it.

As for A24 replacing A23 it's intended. If you install A25b it will be the same. Technically multiple versions can coexist but it's better not to.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yavin said:

I hope you can open these files:
 The Legend of Avilava 17.pmpThe Legend of Avilava 17.xml

Until now, thank you guys for reading my post until this point. Feel free to download and play as long as you want to. If there are some complications or any issues I do my best to fix them - as the name of the files say - it's the seventeenth edition. :)

320536323_TheLegendofAvilava17.xml 11 MB · 

is it possible to use this with the snap - version ? ~/snap/0ad/current/

1 hour ago, nwtour said:
6 hours ago, seeh said:

is it possible to use this with the snap - version ? ~/snap/0ad/current/

Do you have a version with access to your home directory? If not, then you can't

gimp-snap-app.jpg

i dont know this picture. i using KUbuntu. do i search into the home directory ? maybe there is a folder with maps?

As for @Stan`,

thank you for declaring my map as "great work", I appreciate that! Regarding the community maps mod - no problem. If the user @andy5995 is ready to integrate The Legend of Avilava into it - it's kind of appealing to me :) Thus he of course "would be granted permission to". :p

PS: I begun working on this map with alpha 24 - but after installing alpha 25 the map had not been deleted or unable to open - perfect. At alpha 23 I wasn't aware that previous maps would't be able to be opened anymore :/ But well, that belongs to the past (I assume by installing alpha 26 somewhen there there will be no problems like from alpha 24 to alpha 25).

As for @seeh,

also thanking you for liking my work - regarding the download issue I solely can say that I'm unfortunately not that much classifiable as a computer engineer and hence not able to help you with your problem. Hoply the other forum members are able to help you out. Those to files are the only one I thought people needed to install the map:

The Legend of Avilava 17.xmlThe Legend of Avilava 17.pmp

13 minutes ago, seeh said:

maybe there is a folder with maps?

Does the system allow you to install mods?
Then there is no problem Go to the folder where at least one mod is installed in console:

mkdir -p mymaps/maps/scenarios
echo -ne '{\n\t"name": "mymaps",\n\t"version": "1",\n\t"label": "mymaps",\n\t"description": "mymaps",\n\t"dependencies": []\n}\n' > mymaps/mod.json

copy TheLegendofAvilava17.xml and TheLegendofAvilava17.pmp to mymaps/maps/scenarios
enable self-made mod in Settings->Mods
584147925_2021-12-1123-30-48.png.73b0b0f5710fc91bd4994413d491f073.png
Map will appear in the list
1412079784_2021-12-1123-26-36.thumb.png.ac19e495e8f4707cb184695ad5b8bd8d.png

• Thanks 1

@nwtour thanks for the information an link,

as I faced the problem myself while running simulaitons on the map (bolt shooters randomly shot at the wooden bridges connecting the Romans and the Gauls since they had no enemy unit in their area) I changed the models of the bridges from Entity to Actor. As Units can't interact with Actors, as I placed bolt shooters on the same location as earlier - and they didn't shoot at the bridge models anymore.

You mean the "hellenistic" bridge used in the upper part of the roman city?

screenshot0021.thumb.png.b162e0ce1cc4d6342c0a3734f8f36055.png

41 minutes ago, Yavin said:

You mean the "hellenistic" bridge

Yes. Change in text editor

<Entity uid="1008">
                        <Template>structures/bridge_hele</Template>
                        <Player>1</Player>
                        <Position x="1761.21534" z="796.4726"/>
                        <Orientation y="-1.54537"/>
                        <Actor seed="2022"/>
                </Entity>

->

<Entity uid="1008">
                        <Template>actor|props/special/eyecandy/bridge_edge_hele.xml</Template>
                        <Actor seed="2022"/>
                </Entity>

And the game will not write an error on the screen even with the most recent version of the game

7 hours ago, nwtour said:

Does the system allow you to install mods?

i modify and install mods always here:

~/snap/0ad/current/.local/share/0ad/mods/

so i will copy/create all your files (copy TheLegendofAvilava17.xml and TheLegendofAvilava17.pmp) to

~/snap/0ad/current/.local/share/0ad/mods/mymaps/maps/scenarios

But mymaps or self-made mod is not listend in
 Settings->Mods

What could be the problem?

i also copied this two files to (maps or map was needet to create)

~/snap/0ad/current/.local/share/0ad/mymaps/maps/scenarios

and

~/snap/0ad/current/.local/share/0ad/maps/scenarios

But mymaps or self-made mod is not listend in
 Settings->Mods

What could be the problem?

Edited by seeh

7 hours ago, nwtour said:
echo -ne '{\n\t"name": "mymaps",\n\t"version": "1",\n\t"label": "mymaps",\n\t"description": "mymaps",\n\t"dependencies": []\n}\n' > mymaps/mod.json

ah its crating a json file.

i was able to enable that mod and now i got this error message:

image.png.b9f6aa28c8a0d5d9e616d2223b0daa74.png

is there a file into ~/snap/0ad/current/.config/0ad/logs/

i should read for details?

Edited by seeh

25 minutes ago, seeh said:

i was able to enable that mod and now i got this error message

The game can not find a pmp file. Check that two files are identically named and exists in directory mymaps/maps/scenarios:
TheLegendofAvilava17.pmp

TheLegendofAvilava17.xml

Edited by nwtour
  • Thanks 1

works now.

needed files / folder to be created and/or downloaded:

~/snap/0ad/current/.local/share/0ad/mods/mymaps/mod.json ( as in all other mods. compare if you want )

~/snap/0ad/current/.local/share/0ad/mods/mymaps/maps/scenarios/1431253007_TheLegendofAvilava17.pmp

~/snap/0ad/current/.local/share/0ad/mods/mymaps/maps/scenarios/1431253007_TheLegendofAvilava17.xml

=>eneble the mod =>start game and find the map

Edited by seeh

ok now the game is running. it need to disable all other 7 player because my game crashed for some reasons.

its rally rally large

takes 6GB of memory and CPU load is heavy .

interesting. i prefer game 1v1 or 2v2 and sometimes 3v3.

maybe enable to make it configurable.

Edited by seeh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nwtour said:

Yes. Change in text editor

<Entity uid="1008">
                        <Template>structures/bridge_hele</Template>
                        <Player>1</Player>
                        <Actor seed="2022"/>
                </Entity>

->

<Entity uid="1008">
                        <Template>actor|props/special/eyecandy/bridge_edge_hele.xml</Template>
                        <Actor seed="2022"/>
                </Entity>

And the game will not write an error on the screen even with the most recent version of the game

I've now exchanged the hellenistic bridge that had been an Entity. Now it's an Actor and not interactable anymore.

I think I'll just currently load up new versions of the game to get a better view of all the changes. This shall be the eightteenth edition. Thank you, @nwtour!

• Like 2

@Stan`@YavinIt's a great looking map, but I won't include it in the community maps 2 mod. When I clicked start game, the loading got up to 100% and then my desktop froze. I switched to a terminal, and saw my memory getting gradually eaten away. 'Top' showed 40% mem usage, and 100% cpu usage. I was able to just kill the process with 'kill'.

My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 1050 and my PC is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 core) with 12G of RAM.

• Like 1