Exponential Rise in Building Cost

the-x

How can we get even more interested and varyfing Games in 0ad? In the past week there have been some 1v1 where Valihrant, me or Letswaveabook won a game by only building pike. This is leading to very fast optimums, which arent wished in the sence of good 1v1 or interesting and entertaining games. The best Idea to choose (without rebalancing units) is in my ominion to let the costs rise exponentially, prob with the factor Cost (Unit) = 50 * 1,005^n --> whereas 50 is the cost for example 50 food, 50 wood. The next unit will cost the same, then 51 and then slowly rising. if you train f.e. 20 units you might consider to swap to the new, unnused unit. This way new units and rising to new ages I - II i-III going to the next age becomes also a ressource itself. There should be a mode where you can turn this off to play in standard.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I think it can be quite an interesting idea .. but I also think it's something that can dramatically change the gameplay, so not something that the devs would take lightly. Maybe could be interesting to try such a mechanic on a mod?

Anyway, I'm all up for some small innovations that can keep the game interesting! I find the game tends to become a bit repetitive after a while, so this could be one of the small things that would help to keep the strategies more varied.

Yes, it is interesting ; -) and gives a lot more decisiions and long term fun for players, to decide when do i stop to train Hoplites? Actually it changes nothing, only that unite get more expensive over time and as i proposed players should choose which unit train system they want for the game / 1v1 :)

It can easily be done, testable in a mod. In Delenda Est, there's the aura for Cult Statues called "The Cost of Splendor" which makes each subsequent Cult Statue more expensive. So, you could look into that for how that works in practice. Although, I am not sure an aura would be the way to go or some new template component instead. @Freagarach?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, soloooy0 said:

Wouldn't it be more useful to do something similar to the supply lines in total war?
that as you get closer to the population limit things cost more?

Interesting idea, the concept to my eye seems inclined to encourage more elite armies and probably use of bolt shooters, and catapults if they ever get returned to usefulness. Which I will say I prefer over the current mass block tactics that pervade everything.

6 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

I think it can be quite an interesting idea .. but I also think it's something that can dramatically change the gameplay, so not something that the devs would take lightly. Maybe could be interesting to try such a mechanic on a mod?

I agree that such an idea is better suited for a mod.

The main issue I see with the idea is that some factions have more diversity than others, so that causes some balance issues.

Hello,

Some idea for fun :)

1)I would welcome an idea that from 20 minutes of play, the cost of research is reduced by 1% per minute of play. little chance for later player to be strong in lategame.

If you want to make the game less repetitive, you will need other ways of playing. Mainly game mods, maps, options to be selected by host. For example more map like danubius / survival / control mid map ffa / one can get ideas on other rts like warcraft 3, age of empire which have a relatively easy to use map editor.

2)The possibility of two players playing on the same player. It can be fun and give more possibilities of microphones management.

3) A mod with battles like in "total war game" where we would send large armies to fight.

4)Sometimes to get bored you can host games with slightly less classic rules. Such as FFA diplomacy with a slightly strange map, a rather large map.

Besides there are very nice cards with gaia, would it be possible to have these identical cards without gaia to play them without being annoyed please?

I find that increasing the cost of units over time does not make sense, it is a loss of reference in relation to the available resources.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...