Moving To The Modern Era (Suggestion)

Huffman3829

Although I enjoy the period that 0 A.D. already is in, I have in mind some other eras. What I thought of most was to bring the Gentleman's Warfare from the 17 to 1800s into 0 A.D. and also the Late Middle Ages. Actually, maybe this should be a mod, or to give you a very radical idea, a new game. Yes, I know what you are thinking. The grandeur and austerity of this topic makes implementation to me seem impossible. But I liked the idea and would like to hear some ideas about this. What do you think?

Edited by Huffman3829
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lopess said:

If I had time I would definitely make a mod based on the WH 40k something like Dawn Of War (1). With 4 starting civs. With the Humans together in one initially.

How different should it be to not fall under copyright?

Different enough. No  copyrighted names, different building looks. I suppose one can copy stats. I wanted to do that for Stella Artis and crossover between that game starcraft and maybe some others :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Different enough. No  copyrighted names, different building looks. I suppose one can copy stats. I wanted to do that for Stella Artis and crossover between that game starcraft and maybe some others :)

Really a lot would be different, maybe on vacation I think of something, it certainly won't be something very close. The idea of Stella Artis (StarCraft) is very good, maybe what is missing is a little more conceptual art and more direct lines, kind of if someone is willing to do something they will be a little lost in what to do, for example which civs, which structures will be available etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Lopess said:
15 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Really a lot would be different, maybe on vacation I think of something, it certainly won't be something very close. The idea of Stella Artis (StarCraft) is very good, maybe what is missing is a little more conceptual art and more direct lines, kind of if someone is willing to do something they will be a little lost in what to do, for example which civs, which structures will be available etc.

I have a pure ref document with a lot of images :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Maybe in the future you will consider posting these images in topic on furum, for sure some artist will be interested in helping to create this mod (I'm researching how to view these files with .pur, I saw that it's an image compression but I can't see them. )

I think a good start would be to create a sub forum for Stella Arts with 3 topics each for your faction -Human -(Protoss)? and the -( Zerg)?.

I suggest a 4 faction/civ/race development being initially focused on two and later on + two factions.

(We can add a pseudo "Xel'Naga", I think it could have a totally unique gameplay, few extremely strong units, having only one cc/temple like structure and its updates and updates being done on each unit individually.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stan` said:

Well as @Locynaeh told me last week we need moar documentation :P

oh, that would be great and make the process A LOT easier! For example, I found immensely helpful your old tutorial on how to set "props" into the game, Stan! But I recognize it's something that would require quite a bit of time and effort to develop fully.

Maybe an idea could be to take advantage of the development of a mod, and try to make each step more open..?

Like, step one: creating a new civ (zergs)

- step two: template structure

- step three: basics of 3d modeling etcc..

I found the initial phase the most difficult, where I had no idea where to even start. But after that step, then people would have the tools to proceed autonomously for a while and it would lower the learning curve exponentially for a lot of new users. This, assuming that incentivize modding is something that would be meaningful to pursue for the whole 0ad project ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

oh, that would be great and make the process A LOT easier! For example, I found immensely helpful your old tutorial on how to set "props" into the game, Stan! But I recognize it's something that would require quite a bit of time and effort to develop fully.

Maybe an idea could be to take advantage of the development of a mod, and try to make each step more open..?

Well Ideally you could complete this section https://trac.wildfiregames.com/#Formodders

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Well Ideally you could complete this section https://trac.wildfiregames.com/#Formodders

yeah, actually is a good idea! I was thinking how I could do something about it.

The only thing is : beyond some experimentations, I have pretty much zero experience, so I would appreciate some backing from people who have more knowledge either in coding and 3d modeling. 

But is a nice thing! I'll keep in mind and think some ideas to propose, in case :)