How to balance life?

How to Hem Pants: A Beginner's Step-by-Step Guide

What if you can fit in those loosely fit pants? Or adjust the length of those long jeans you didn’t wear because they looked weird? You don't even have to go to a tailor; you can just hem it away at home. Hemming is a sewing skill that helps you adjust the length of the pants or trousers according to your desired measurements. It also gives a professionally finished look to your garment. Whether you choose to hem your pants with a hand or sewing machine, this beginner's step-by-step guide will navigate how to hem pants accurately. 

What You'll Need

1. A pair of pants that are too long and need hemming.
  2. Pins to mark and hold together the new hemline.
  3. Iron to create an even and wrinkleless hem.
  4. Chalk or pen to accurately mark the new hemline. 
  5. Measurement tools to measure and create even hem. 
  6. Hemming jeans require a heavy-duty 'jeans' needle. 
  7. Use thread that matches the topstitching on your jeans.

Finding good quality sewing tools could be hard. Crafts Selection has compiled the list of best products for you to ease it up. This list has all the necessary tools and supplies that you'll need for your craft. Visit gzlitgS.gif CraftsSelection.com to find out more about the sewing products. 

PeMTUD8.jpg

Step 1

Determining the Right Length

• The right hem length will differ depending on the style of pants being worn, the shoes being worn, and personal preference.
  • Dress or casual pants shouldn't contact the ground because this can damage them. When the wearer wears shoes, the rear hem should be around 1/2" above the floor.
  • To find the ideal length, it's important to have the wearer put on the pants and use a mirror. Preferences can differ.

Step 2

Pinning the Pants

• Have the wearer wear the intended pair of shoes while wearing the pants. If you can, stand in front of a full-length mirror to determine the ideal length.
  • Put pins where they can be reached when the pants are inside out by placing them at the bottom of the pants.
  • Make sure that both pant legs have the same amount of hemmed material. At this point, minor modifications can be made.

Step 3

Measuring the New Hemline

• The new hemline's width might vary depending on the type of pants. 
  • Measure the proper height above the pinned fold line using a tape measure, hem gauge, or ruler.
  • A 1" hem is typical for khakis or dress pants. A 1/2" hem is normal for jeans.

Step 4

Cutting the Excess Fabric

• Turn the pants inside out, then cut along the chalked line you indicated on the inside of the pants using good sewing shears.
  • Unless the fabric tends to fray, serging the edge is unnecessary.

✺✺✺ See Also: PdyBOxA.gif Top Sewing Product Reviews CraftsSelection

Step 5

Pressing the New Hem

• Take the jeans to the ironing board and turn them inside.
  • For dress pants, fold the bottom edge by the appropriate hem width (1"; for jeans, 1/2") press it flat.
  • To ensure a tidy finish, check the hem twice for evenness and press it gently.

Hand Hemming 

• If you're hand-hemming, thread a needle with matching polyester thread, knot the end and fasten it to the side seam slightly above the folded edge.
  • Create a subtle finish by using the blind hem stitch method. 
  • Don't tug the thread too firmly while you sew; instead, use large stitches on the folded edge of the hem and small threads on the pant leg.

Hemming with a Sewing Machine

fWX0CZl.jpg

• Once you've measured, cut, and pressed your fabric, set your sewing machine to a straight stitch with a medium stitch length.
  • Invert the pants and wrap the leg around the free arm of your sewing machine. 
  • To ensure a firm hem, stitch closely to the folded edge.

The hemming procedure is simple and quick for both the hand and sewing machines. Careful measuring and pressing are key to achieving a professional-looking hem.

Hemming with a machine requires one or two stitches and is the quickest way. Explore the perfect fit sewing machine for beginners from the top product reviews by Crafts Selection. With expert recommendations and user experiences, these reviews tell you which sewing machine will work great for starters and experts. 

☞☞☞ See It Here: L6lTE6Z.gif CraftsSelection Top Sewing and Craft Product Guides

Conclusion

Isn't hemming easy? In this 5-step guide, you can adjust the length of any pair of jeans, pants, or trousers. This is a skill all beginners should learn to make garment stitching and upgrading fun and easy. Moreover, hemming generally gives a finished and professional look to your sewing projects. Learn and begin hemming your garments to master the skill. 

Edited by josuebrown

I was lucky to find a job last year working 20h a week from home.

I'm spoiled now so I wouldn't take any presential work even if they'd pay me millions, nor do I want to waste more than 20h/w of my life.

There are things I like to do more important than money. I used to waste up to 6h a day commuting + full time = no fun = no life.

• Like 2

Work on your boundaries.

Wisdom used to be important (known forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7hdUorDU-U).

Today, people's focus is outward / on productivity caught in a downward spiral instead of inner freedom.

The resulting stress often makes people sick and can be buffered by exercise, antioxidants and restful sleep.

1 hour ago, a 0ad player said:

boundaries

2 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

balanceing

Assuming as a worker you are reasonable worker who takes on a reasonable workload and gets it complete on time, then these items may be a problem.  It's actually hard for an employer to find reasonable and responsible workers as such workers are in high demand. 

As such, as a reasonable worker the best thing you can do is set boundaries and expectations to your employer.  If your employer doesn't meet expectations change jobs (e.g., boundaries with work/family time creep for balanced life).  It's a 2-way street not a 1-way.  It's also a reason why you need to be financially responsible.  If you aren't, then you are dependent on your employer's whims.

Boundaries + Life Balance are important.

Edited by Dizaka

Hey @josuebrown,

I recommend finding a suitable model for areas/aspects of life, trying to find out where your deficits are, where your curiosity is and what you are yearning for in your inmost being. If you find yourself too much distracted or absorbed by the daily duties, first create space, time and silence for reflection/contemplation, this is where clear thoughts get the chance to thrive. If you do not know how, take a first little step. Find someone who can help you, read, ask, search... Maybe you just need smaller adjustments, maybe bigger ones including a complete life change (in this case I recommend taking a break for several months if possible, e.g. for travelling, reading, socializing).

classic model example: body, mind, soul
I would divide this further, e.g.

• body: health, nutrition, intimacy, exercise
    I recommend lots of low intensity integrated into daily life like walking, cycling, hiking, ... with short bursts of high/max intensity, instead of running 30/45/60 min the same pace (this is not what our ancestors did). I further recommend bodyweight exercises instead of insulated weight lifting. Nutrition: less sugar, less "bad fat" (like in fast food), less processed food, less meat, more vegetables, more "good fat" (omega 3), more seeds/nuts and whole grain.
  • mind: reading, discussing, discovering interesting theories/ideas
  • soul: being in nature, listening to music, reading, being creative (arts, music, writing, ...), if you're introvert (= gaining energy alone) focus more on meditation/contemplation/prayer, if you're extrovert (= gaining energy in community) focus more on shared activities

It can feel quite overwhelming having a huge list, thats why I try to find activities that encompass all fields. E.g. I like hiking and mountaineering. This requires my body (can be tuned from low to insane intensity), my mind (planning routes analyzing weather, terrain, overnight stay possiblities, ...; analyzing/discovering/buying/replacing equipment) and my soul (I can contemplate, I feel temporarily displaced to another world leaving everything else in the valley, when I am solo walking/climbing on an arête, I can get into complete flow mode, ...)

another, more specific model example: job, family/partnership, health, social contacts, individuality/hobbies, belief/spirituality
This model has been developed by Dr. med. Mirriam Prieß, a German physician, psychotherapist, business consultant, coach and author specialized in the field of burnout.
Her experience and thesis is that burnout (and related issues like depression) is not primarily caused by too much workload, but by defunct relationships, both outwards to other people (either non existent or conflicts) and inwards (not listening to yourself, no connection to your "inner voice"). Basically not doing/living what you are intrinsically supposed/designed to do.

What I find especially helpful: Try to determine where you have gotten into "flow" mode, this sweet spot between boredom and overextension where you forgot everything else around you including space and time. Try to remember what you wished/dreamed when you where a still a kid. This helps to circumvent blockades/restrictions our "adult" mind imposes on us (as kids we were more directly expressing what we wanted without analyzing external circumstances that much).

I hope I could provide some inspiration... :) Good luck!

EDIT: Do not forget to love (and forgive!) yourself. You cannot change the past, but you can influence which person you'll be in the future. And "begin with the end in mind" (one of the "7 habits of highly effective people" by Stephen Covey)...

Edited by Palaxin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2021 at 10:21 PM, sarcoma said:

I was lucky to find a job last year working 20h a week from home.

I'm spoiled now so I wouldn't take any presential work even if they'd pay me millions, nor do I want to waste more than 20h/w of my life.

There are things I like to do more important than money. I used to waste up to 6h a day commuting + full time = no fun = no life.

how to get a 20h a week job?