automatic rejection of game partner with rating higher then me + X

seeh

it will be fun/helpful if

automatic rejection of game partner with rating higher then me + 100 (example)

whoat you think? good idear? its like lichCess rating games config then

the good thnk with rating is when you play vs a very strong player you dont loos much. but if you always play vs stronger your rating decrease always

Edited by seeh

• 2 weeks later...

your rating only decreases if you lose.

I really don't agree with this idea. You already have the choice to not play with someone who is higher rating. Moreover, 100 rating is not really enough to justify rejecting them. I think if you are worried about a player with 100 rating higher then you're not really even trying to play rated. You might as well play unrated if you're not willing to play another player who is + or - 100 rating to your rating. 

If you only want to play players who are near your rating then why bother playing rated games at all, that's not really the point of the ladder/ratings.

my suggestion would be to play unrated.

Edited by Kokomal
  • Confused 1

borg- and valihrant would only be allowed to play with each other...

feldfeld can only play against chrstgtr...

What if you are underated and the player who are +/-100 points refuse to play against you.

In many cases, it seems that would simply prevent some players from playing rated games at all. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of trying to equalize games a bit, but players are already able to decline to join games with players that have a much higher rating than them.

If we're talking about one simple fix that would help equalize games, I'd recommend this: allowing us to view the W-L record (and not just the rating) of other players who are in the game before it starts. As things stand now, you can see this information in the lobby. But I don't think you can see it after someone joins a game you're hosting (or I just haven't figured out how to see it). That would allow players to make better decisions as to whether or not to begin a game.

For example, let's say I host a game. My current rating, by the way, is 1121, and I've played about 35 rated games. If a 1250 rated player joins my game, all I see is that they're 1250. I don't know if they've played 10 games, and won 6 or 7 of them. Or if they've played 500 games and won 270. I wouldn't have any problems playing against a 1250 player who's only played 10 games. That's probably a fair match. But the game against the 1250 player who's played 500 games would probably be less balanced.

Edited by thephilosopher
clarification
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thephilosopher said:

As things stand now, you can see this information in the lobby. But I don't think you can see it after someone joins a game you're hosting (or I just haven't figured out how to see it).

in the pre-game page there is a little icon of a chat baloon, on the right under the map picture, that allows you to see the lobby without closing the game, from there you can see those stats.

sometimes I host a 1v1, and a lot of noobs join, one after the other, and I have to explain to each of them that I don't want to play a boring unbalanced game, if one could set a filter like the one seeh suggested, I would use it.

Edited by alre
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, alre said:

in the pre-game page there is a little icon of a chat baloon, on the right under the map picture, that allows you to see the lobby without closing the game, from there you can see those stats.

sometimes I host a 1v1, and a lot of noobs join, one after the other, and I have to explain to each of them that I don't want to play a boring unbalanced game, if one could set a filter like the one seeh suggested, I would use it.

Ah, so that's how people seem to be both in the lobby and in a game at the same time. I'll start using that.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 6:25 PM, Dakara said:

Hello, If it is important to you, you can put the authorized rating in the title of the game.

yes that i usually do so. but will be ignored often. its helpful if i do some work somewhere at home with my headset. if i run always to computer if somebody join it takes time. it mor practical if its possible to configure that not only in the title i think