New Territorial Claims should not be shown unless thatland has been re-explored

DerekO

Many times in game, a player can tell when one player or the other advances to p2 or p3 or builds a new base just purely because they had pre-scouted the land, I believe it isn't fair as it wouldn't make sense for the enemy to know the territorial claim of your land without going to check it again, this would be a balancing request what is everyone's Thoughts on this?

• Like 5

On 18/11/2021 at 10:48 AM, DerekO said:

Many times in game, a player can tell when one player or the other advances to p2 or p3 or builds a new base just purely because they had pre-scouted the land, I believe it isn't fair as it wouldn't make sense for the enemy to know the territorial claim of your land without going to check it again, this would be a balancing request what is everyone's Thoughts on this?

Arguments for showing territorial expansion: 

1. Alerts you that your enemy is making an aggressive move and the expansion could be very threatening for your economy. 

2. Allows you to see if you are violating enemy territory so you know where not to go. 

3. You'll know when you should resign, before their rams come. 

Arguments against showing territorial expansion:

1. As you said, it is free information being leaked and makes expansion strategies very risky. Your enemies will also know  if you are in phase 2 or phase 3 and they can take actions against you on that. Passive play inside the base is encourages, which is not fun. 

2. For Seleucid and Ptolemies players, if you want mercenary units then you have to build colonies - this distorts and enlarges the shape of your territory and your enemy will know that you are spamming mercenaries so they will build a fort and towers to foil your plan.

3. Logically, you shouldn't know that your enemy has expanded unless one of your units has witnessed it.  

11 hours ago, Dizaka said:

You can monitor enemy berry expansions for by just looking at territory expansion by berry patches.  If expansion exists there likely is a grainery and to rush.

Expansions happen in P2 and P3, by then berries would have little significance. I have only seen one instance where someone collects berries near a colony, and he did it with infantry instead of women. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Reyhan said:

You'll know when you should resign, before their rams come

what is wrong with swords or spearmen to beat this? how does this relate to territory? I guess you can see when they are p3, but this does not show how many rams will come and the direction they come from.

35 minutes ago, Reyhan said:

Expansions happen in P2 and P3, by then berries would have little significance. I have only seen one instance where someone collects berries near a colony, and he did it with infantry instead of women. 

Dizaka is talking about p1. berries can form on the outside of your territory, so if there is a small bulge there, then you can reliably assume it is a farmstead for women gathering berries.

As a joke we should all change our pfp to purple D.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Reyhan said:

I circle my enemies at least once by 4/5 min.  If I'm rushing at least around min 2.  That way I can plan attack and retreat routes.

This only addresses p2 and p3, when rushing really doesn't happen.  Most rushing happens in <9 min.  Anything after that is harassing and a full on attack.

12 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

... about p1. berries can form on the outside of your territory ... there is a small bulge there ... you can reliably assume it is a farmstead ....

This.  The battles of the buldges.  This is why, some players who are higher ranked, actually build their farmstead in such a way that there is no territory expansion to see this.  Being covert > overt.

Edited by Dizaka
  • Like 1

On 22/11/2021 at 9:13 AM, Dizaka said:

You can monitor enemy berry expansions for by just looking at territory expansion by berry patches.  If expansion exists there likely is a grainery and to rush.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone should have said something, and since he didn't say it, I will say it.

In delenda est, you can place farmsteads and storehouses in neutral territory and they don't give extra territory, so you wont have that problem. I think being able to place farmsteads outside your territory might make the game more interesting. However that feature does no solve a the other issues mentioned in this tread.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone should have said something, and since he didn't say it, I will say it.

In delenda est, you can place farmsteads and storehouses in neutral territory and they don't give extra territory, so you wont have that problem. I think being able to place farmsteads outside your territory might make the game more interesting. However that feature does no solve a the other issues mentioned in this tread.

I think that's a reasonable idea but just specific to farmsteads/storehouses.  That is, it doesn't address expansions using barracks, etc.  People should have to scout to be able to spy.

Edited by Dizaka