The Halt command (H key) - does anyone use it?

mysticjim

Hello all

Just a speculative query, but does anyone out there make a habit of using the Halt command (hotkey default 'H') on a regular basis? If so, how do you utilise it, and if not - why? Very interested to hear.

Myself, I have enough trouble stopping my units going idle without having a button to especially make that happen, so I actually reassign the H key to place a house - ignoring the halt command altogether, but interested to know if I'm missing a vital function that it serves.

Jim

I use it once in a while to keep a ram preventing to roll to a building (for example to repair it, when I put the ram also on stance).

The button can be also very helpful in fights, but I usually use the attack move instead. Sad thing is that the attack move seems to be bugged, often it fails and my units march into their death. So I should get used to use H more often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Player of 0AD said:

I use it once in a while to keep a ram preventing to roll to a building (for example to repair it, when I put the ram also on stance).

The button can be also very helpful in fights, but I usually use the attack move instead. Sad thing is that the attack move seems to be bugged, often it fails and my units march into their death. So I should get used to use H more often.

Same here.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

same here. I used to use the h button more often (for fights), but then I got used to attack-move instead. I also sometimes have the same problem as @Player of 0AD, maybe I should restore my old habit.

They way you pose the question makes me think you don't use it 5 times a minute or more.

When I have cavalry archers, I tend to put the on stand ground to stop them from chasing. If you want them to stop moving, you can press the halt button. So yeah, in those cases I might use the  halt key over 5 times a minute. Also If your units are collecting resources and need to stop doing so, the halt key can be effective or if you melee is chasing something that they should not be chasing.

There is a recent newby rush video where someone clicked to attack a women and lost all his camel archers because of an unintended chase at 9:08.

Use it to reset what units are being attacked, by my units, so units don't get pulled.  Some people micro so much that it is necessary to do.

(Edit:  Interestingly, I was told this was the "attack nearest unit command" (it works this way based on level of aggression set) instead of "halt/stop."  That is, I've been using it as the "attack nearest units command" to prevent my units from zeroing in on a specific unit and chasing/being pulled to die without killing anything.  I double hit the command too ... which probably costs me time but just a habit.)

Edited by Dizaka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, mysticjim said:

Hello all

Just a speculative query, but does anyone out there make a habit of using the Halt command (hotkey default 'H') on a regular basis? If so, how do you utilise it, and if not - why? Very interested to hear.

Myself, I have enough trouble stopping my units going idle without having a button to especially make that happen, so I actually reassign the H key to place a house - ignoring the halt command altogether, but interested to know if I'm missing a vital function that it serves.

Jim

Might be a good idea to add a survey to the thread so we can vote.

And yes, I use it alot. It allows you, in battle, to "restart" the army so it fights units close to them and not chase random ones

1 hour ago, Kokomal said:

How do you attack move?

ctrl + right clic.

On 17/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, Freagarach said:

Could you check whether this https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3853 makes it better for you? (And other people.)

that may avoid unnecessary chasing, but we were talking about units taking an order wrong: they just move instead of attack moving.

On personal experience, attack move seems most effective on small skirmishes, while Violent stance and Hold seems to work better for me on large army clashes. As a disclosure, the majority of my game are against the A.I. , so i don't know how much theses strategies would compare vs human players.

I've also been trying formations a bit more, having good results with spartan CS hoplite in Phalanx (due to the tight formation). They don't seem to break rank that easily if i use Hold + Violent stance, instead of attack-move.

• 2 weeks later...