Soft Battalions [General Thread]

Introduction.

This mechanic derives from hybrid games and subgenres of RTS and Wargames. The tactical real time games ..

Real-time tactics (RTT) is a subgenre of tactical wargames played in real-time simulating the considerations and circumstances of operational warfare and military tactics. It is differentiated from real-time strategy gameplay by the lack of classic resource micromanagement as well as the greater importance of individual units and a focus on complex battlefield tactics.

this mechanic in conventional RTS is called formation-group (Rise and Fall: CaW) or control group points(Praetorians).

This post will include several sections, technical, artistic and gameplay.

The first discussion here is the visual, when i tried it i didn't even know how it worked.

I think that to avoid confusion there should be an extra factor.

Something visual that allows the player to distinguish that the formation is now one ( single thing.

rise-fall-civilizations-at-war_14.jpg.ed9c68ecbb4eebc7b9fd0596be38b6e2.jpg

A banner or graphic identification, above I leave an example.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I think a good start for this thread would be to explain what soft batallions are and how they work.

Yes, I need the creator to discuss this.

I don't even understand the concept at all, how it will be in the long term.

For now it is nothing more than a formation that is selected with a single unit.

I will try to define Battalions or squad.

14 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

With a bannerman in the right front of the formation, you can always tell which direction the formation is heading or facing.

I would have to see it with different perspectives and zoom.

######____##############

Audio 

I am thinking about audio when doing the formation, An equivalent to "yes" or formation when they are grouped.

Also in contrary ( negative action) when they can't: "I can't" or "no".

Another dive or not would be battle cries when fighting ( kind of AOE IV for example )

already in formation there is no excuse for few voices or silences.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Third aspect bonus formations and anti-cavalry formations.

There should be formations to contain masses of melee cavalry.

That they take damage and can't move around. These formations will depend on the unit and faction, such as pikes and halberdiers, spearmen and other techniques .

Bonus shield formations or shield wall.

romand10.jpg.19af7dd4f18f1188df6505d1f64bb0d6.jpg

fourth aspect.

Attack and defense bonus.

Pullo formation, Pullo single formation!

Going in battle formation gives more advantages to go alone.

by the way whistles and trumpets do not " hurt"with the sounds.

The mechanics of Rise and Fall: CaW.

"Infantry, cavalry, and some special units automatically group themselves into formations—groups of soldiers that receive attack and defense bonuses—when at least eight of that kind of unit is present; the maximum number of units a formation may consist of is sixty-four. The unit's speed, attack, defensive capabilities, and range vary, depending on several factors; these include their civilization; unit type; the upgrades that have been purchased; whether or not they are in formation, and, if so, its size"

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Fifth, formations and stances.

Each combination should work differently. Even keyboard shortcuts would help.

Sixth mixed formations, with melee infantry and missile units.

Example: At the command orbem formate, the legionaries assumed a circle-like formation with the archers placed in the midst of and behind the legionaries providing missile fire support. This tactic was used mainly when a small number of legionaries had to hold a position and were surrounded by enemies

1800890366_65615a3a02_z.jpg

4 hours ago, alre said:

@Freagarach how further battallions are going to be implemented? current changes, for what I remember seeing, were only motivated by supposed micromanagement advantages, is there anything more to it?

There is some kind of hiatus about what I would like and what will be generally accepted by the playerbase (not counting you, wow), so I have no more plans. Although I would like to support training battalions in the first place.

2 hours ago, Freagarach said:

There is some kind of hiatus about what I would like and what will be generally accepted by the playerbase (not counting you, wow), so I have no more plans. Although I would like to support training battalions in the first place.

bonus? more formations? What do you have planned in your mind?

• 3 weeks later...