Is A25 available for Debian?

Ranyel

15 minutes ago, Ranyel said:

I've been playing 0 AD on MX Linux 19, which is heavily Debian-based and uses Debian's repositories for installation.  The latest version of 0 AD available on these repos is A23.  Is there any way that I can get access to A25 for my distro?

On 25/10/2021 at 3:44 PM, Player of 0AD said:

Afaik there might be a way. If you don't mind some effort you could build the newest development version: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#Linux

And maybe then update (or better said downgrade) it to Alpha 25b:

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#Keepinguptodate1
but "svn update -r r25860" instead of "svn up"

There might be an easier way to install 25b, but I don't know.

Hey Ranyel,

The latest version of 0 A.D. available for Debian is 0.0.25b, but it's only in the "unstable" or "sid" repository. You can temporarily add an unstable repository in order to install 0ad from it, then remove the repository. Just be careful that apt doesn't try to install versions of important packages like libc6, gcc, the kernel, etc, from the unstable repository.

Also, MX Linux version 21 is the latest, based on Debian stable (bullseye). I don't know which version of Debian that MX Linux 19 is based on. 0ad from the unstable repository might work, or it might not. There are potential solutions.

Please join IRC, and I'll help you with getting 0 A.D. version 0.0.25b installed. Click "IRC Channel" or "IRC Chat" at the top of the webpage.

--

dave_k

I tried Snap, but unfortunately, MX isn't Snap friendly.  However, your suggestion got me thinking about other portable-type options, so I tried downloading the Flatpak version.  It worked just fine.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Having tried Flatpak, though, I've run into another problem.  I'm a big fan of mods.  Since I have multiple computers, I've always found it easier with 0 AD to download the mod once and drop it in the mods folder on each of my computers (it saves time).  It's easy enough to do with a regular install of the game, but I can't for the life of me figure it out for the Flatpak version.  Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...