This probably has been asked before but..

AnguishedBlade

And wouldn't 2-D graphics take much less space as 3-d models?

No, I think space was one of the reasons why we switched to full-3d, as high-quality 2d renders tend to be larger than a 3d model plus its texture.

Also, we wanted to have the option to have a "free camera" for cinematics and such neat things, and we concluded that graphics hardware will be much faster in some years, so we can still have good-looking buildings, even if they are 3d. Asides, I think full-3d was easier to code for the programmers :(

• 3 weeks later...

I play Rise of Nations all the time. I find the graphics to be just fine, although I care more about the gameplay. :P National borders are a nice innovation :S

Oh yes, that reminds me, how will the provinces and territories be implemented in 0 A.D.?

EDIT: Oops sorry, I didn't see that in the FAQ. Don't bother with my question :S

I think I disagree with basically everyone here - I like 2D graphics!!! They lag less and, while they may not look as good, they are fine IMHO. I think games shouldn't concentrate too much on graphics and looks because that concentration could be better spent elsewhere - historical accuracy, playability, balance, significance, variety, and erm... historical accuracy! :S 2D games can look nice too. Oh well - just opinions.

It's not just for appearance that we went for full-3D: it's also simpler - allowing, as you mention, us to do other things with our time - it allows things (like changing the perspective) that we couldn't have done otherwise, and a big reason is that 3D models are more compact than a bunch of 2D renders. For a game distributed entirely over the 'net, that's a reasonable consideration :S

It is, I think - in terms of programming. You do not need to care about sprite/3d-model relations and sprite placement/handling in the game world, but can keep everything down to only needing to support 3d objects.

For the artists, it may be harder - they need to have an eye on poly counts, and the art may be less appealing, but for 0 A.D., the way of full 3d was right, with the game being developed by limited (free)-time developers and people having to download all the data over the internet (3d is much more efficient by file sizes).

So is AOK pure 2D or 2D-3D? I recommend doing whatever AOK did. :)

AoK is pure 2D (you will never see the back side of any building).

I thought graphics in RoN were horrible. Not just because it was 2D, but because of its color palette. Everything looked so washed out, making countering extremely difficult, among other things.

Agreed, I especially disliked the "pixelated" buildings on high resolutions ;)