Han China

artoo

3 hours ago, artoo said:

Short explanation is, since last time I added rice, it was removed for whatever reason,

If you mean the resource rice itself it was for easier integration I think. I tried to remove as much Delenda Stuff as possible, to avoid the commit that would break everything.

If you mean the rice fields:

This discussion is taking such huge proportions and I don't see a way to fix that easily.

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I would fix this easily, but I don't have push access to this repo. 

Do you want access? After all you made some significant contributions to the mod ^^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Here's the new .dae for the great tower, together with the new AO map. It still gives an error about a prop point (a projectile), but that's already included in the .dae file, so I'm not sure why it still gives an error.

Maybe @Stan has an idea with that projectile prop.

But I think the log hints the problem...

art/meshes/structural/han_large_tower.dae: Starting conversion

art/meshes/structural/han_large_tower.dae: Running FixBrokenXML

art/meshes/structural/han_large_tower.dae: Authoring tool: Blender 2.93.5 commit date:2021-10-05, commit time:12:04, hash:a791bdabd0b2

art/meshes/structural/han_large_tower.dae: FCollada 175: COLLADA document loaded successfully.

art/meshes/structural/han_large_tower.dae: Found convertible object 'Plane_083_005'

art/meshes/structural/han_large_tower.dae: Converting 'Plane_005'

art/meshes/structural/han_large_tower.dae: Found static geometry

ERROR: Failed to find matching prop point called "projectile" in model "art/meshes/structural/han_large_tower.dae" for actor "structures/han/tower_great.xml255"

Its a broken xml, and collada tries to transform a plane in order to fix it, probably fails.

Yup, altering brightness is something I am capable to do. Any hint of how many % roughly?

7 minutes ago, artoo said:

Its a broken xml, and collada tries to transform a plane in order to fix it, probably fails.

Actually that message is misleading. It's used to parse 3Dsmax and FBX exported files, because they contain some stuff the game cannot deal with. Blender is exempt of this. The XML is correct however the model is not. Prop points need to be parented to the mesh.

To do so in Blender with all selected and the tower selected as active, press CTRL + P and click object. Then reexport.

Small nitpick (Plane_083.005) should ideally be something like han_defense_tower, and the mesh (Plane.005) called  han_defense_tower_mesh

As for the AO, I made a custom material to bake it correctly. You can append it in your scene from this file → ao-as-emissive.blend

Make sure to put the correct normal map in the graph, and to select the texture for baking.  Of course apply the material to the mesh (Don't forget to remove it before exporting) Then instead of baking ambient occlusion, bake emissive

ao-as-emissive.blend

As for the fortress mesh itself, something is off with it, you shouldn't see through from any side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Stan

I dunno who to ping for that, I spotted in the svn tree changes with rounding.

I would have another such example.

Atm, the ministry has a 0.1 tickle, each of the max 9 ministers adds a further 0.1 tickle, so it is max 1.

The 1 is never shown, but a precicion float approximating 1.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Well, I might as well post the new AO map for the fortress. This thing took forever to bake. So @artoo the only artistic thing that you have to do is lower the brightness for the AO map only for the great tower.

han_fortress.png

Maybe it took a lot of time because of the sample count. At least there is no noise. It's better to remove the alpha channel too for better compression.

• Like 1

Ok, update on unit roster; I made a branch that makes spear infantry and cavalry upgradable to halberd(Ji).

The upgrades increase in cost depending on the rank.

https://github.com/0ADMods/han_china/tree/spear-upgrades

I would prefer this solution, but simply removing selected units is also an option, the upgrade solution gives a slight problem with the game UI ...

han_ui.png

43 minutes ago, Silier said:

You would need engine changes for scrolling in gui other than list.

Just quickly going over the code, I think lists don't support object items atm.

This would require me to have class docs to implement, if I don't want to anger a female citizen at home who hates so much time spent on the computer. :blink:

What's the view on introducing a new very special unit, the Han princess, that can only be built max 1?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heqin

Just not sure yet what diplomatic havoc the princess is gonna wreak, and how the mechanics gonna work. ;)

Edit: some ideas

* the princess transforms in enemy territory into a small building with small territory that can't be attacked by male soldiers, because she is so beautiful :D

* the princess establishes an alliance if diplomatic status is neutral

* the princess works somewhat similar to a trader, ie establishing a route between player buildings

* the princess somehow garrisons an enemy house for example, ie takes it over (for some time)

* the princess could have mirages for undercover missions

* the princess spawns a gaia Xiongnu wildcard

han_princess.png

Edited by artoo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, artoo said:

What's the view on introducing a new very special unit, the Han princess, that can only be built max 1?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heqin

Just not sure yet what diplomatic havoc the princess is gonna wreak, and how the mechanics gonna work. ;)

Edit: some ideas

* the princess transforms in enemy territory into a small building with small territory that can't be attacked by male soldiers, because she is so beautiful :D

* the princess establishes an alliance if diplomatic status is neutral

* the princess works somewhat similar to a trader, ie establishing a route between player buildings

* the princess somehow garrisons an enemy house for example, ie takes it over (for some time)

* the princess could have mirages for undercover missions

* the princess spawns a gaia Xiongnu wildcard

han_princess.png

These kinds of units are super fun, but better for scenarios and campaigns. I'm not sure how much attention players would want to spend on such a specialized unit.

7 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

These kinds of units are super fun, but better for scenarios and campaigns. I'm not sure how much attention players would want to spend on such a specialized unit.

I could pretty much go for a tower strategy in enemy territory, it's tier2.

I went for the princess upgrading to a tent in neutral or enemy territory atm, it has root territory, kind of princess siege tent. I seriously consider if its possible the princess can only be attacked/killed by female citizens or warriors. :D

Idea is cloud the minds of the enemy males with her.

27 minutes ago, artoo said:

I could pretty much go for a tower strategy in enemy territory, it's tier2.

I went for the princess upgrading to a tent in neutral or enemy territory atm, it has root territory, kind of princess siege tent. I seriously consider if its possible the princess can only be attacked/killed by female citizens or warriors. :D

Idea is cloud the minds of the enemy males with her.

Could be an alliance-strengthening unit.  In team games send her to ally territory (e.g., a front player).  When she establishes a tent you can build in that ally territory a CC (or maybe even just build and expand that player's influence aura but buildings are yours).  Maybe even ally could use your buildings as their own if you aren't using them (e.g., unit production buildings).

Currently, you cannot build CC's in allied territory and in many cases ally's territory influence acts as a barrier.  This unit could be great for holding territory, especially at a forward position, and making the ally/ally relationship more cohesive.  Princess could be a unit that just enables a closer union between yourself and an ally of your choosing.  Closer bond could be represented by being able to build in that ally's territory and expand their aura of influence. 

Could be game-chaning for team games.  In FFA (free-for-all) maybe the princess permanently ties the alliance and locks it for team victory.

Edited by Dizaka
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, artoo said:

Yes, I think its best the princes simply steals territory, enemy or ally.

maybe some naughty aura that lets arrows miss the tent, make it only to capture by the enemy.

Who would want to kill a beauty? :huh:

Romans can build in and "steal" enemy territory.  Currently, no civ can build in ally territory and/or expand ally territory.  The princess could have the unique feature of helping allies :).  

It doesn't sound like princesses were used as offensive units - more about strengthening already mutual bonds of others who were worthy of being strong enough to be allied.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dizaka said:

Romans can build in and "steal" enemy territory.  Currently, no civ can build in ally territory and/or expand ally territory.  The princess could have the unique feature of helping allies :).  

It doesn't sound like princesses were used as offensive units - more about strengthening already mutual bonds of others who were worthy of being strong enough to be allied.

I could see some kind of "Marriage Alliance" diplomacy option in a Grand Campaign. Or even such an option in an expanded Diplomacy settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I could see some kind of "Marriage Alliance" diplomacy option in a Grand Campaign. Or even such an option in an expanded Diplomacy settings.

Would be pretty nice if diplomacy was modifiable via a tech or aura, like diplomatic status etc.

Or funnel enemy resources to yours.

I haven't solved the territory restriction with the princess yet, only with the tent.

Her tent has two auras, one effecting ally, the other enemy units, it can produce female citizens and a new princess.

Edited by artoo

2 hours ago, maroder said:

that sounds funny :D

The marriage diplomacy can be a wildcard. A bit like they send only "the best of the best" to Brussels only to have them away at home.

Could annoy a Xiongnu warlord, if you sent him a mother in law that drives him nuts. :D

The Mauryan could have a unit that gifts the enemy a white elephant.

Edited by artoo