Han China

artoo

19 hours ago, artoo said:

Regarding rice, the current fields are also placeholder. I opted for the little ones, because I find them to scale better than this...

screenshot0256.png

It somehow looks odd in my view, and so rice plant naked.

I agree that this ^ looks strange and I'm not sure which version of the fields that is, but the version that is in DE looks nice to me

screenshot1122.png

they could be a bit closer to the ground and the rice plants could be a bit more random but overall I like the look.

Or as I already mentioned one of the drafts from this thread: 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Would look bad on desert maps, also it's better to keep footprints :)

And that's just desert, arctic looks funny with rice, I can tell.

In my opinion, the mud skin is too grayish, should be more yellow-brownish, and these pads together as one field still look kind of weird, the scale is off I think, whereas as single pads, they scale well.

Edited by artoo

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

Yeah the issue is that it doesn't show water on low settings.

Regarding the water, I think the water should be muddy, no big reflection, and many plants to further reduce reflection. After all, this is supposed to be set at the yellow river. ;)

46 minutes ago, m7600 said:

I won't do it myself because I want to see more people taking the time to learn how to make 3D models.

That's sadly not gonna happen from my side, given I am already busy in my free time with development and maintaining a linux distro with a few other brave souls. I also have family, so playing 0ad and making a mod is purely for fun.

My little one loves to win, I stand no chance, he loves China for whatever reason.  :brow:

Maybe someone else can scale them and export them.

Edited by artoo

30 minutes ago, artoo said:

That's sadly not gonna happen from my side, given I am already busy in my free time with development and maintaining a linux distro with a few other brave souls. I also have family, so playing 0ad and making a mod is purely for fun.

My little one loves to win, I stand no chance, he loves China for whatever reason.  :brow:

Maybe someone else can scale them and export them.

I can help a little with 3d if no one is available:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, first time posting in this forum. Registered because I started to play this game and curious about this Han China mod (haven't tried it tho).

As a Chinese, I find the rice field I see in this thread somewhat strange. I am not anywhere expertise in the topic, but just want to give my ideas. The rice field here is more like specific "terraces" (you can google this word, and find similar real-life images. Chinese: 梯田 tī tián). This kind of rice field is built on some area with slope, e.g., a hillside. Found a definition on an online dictionary:

3. A raised bank of earth having vertical or sloping sides and a flat top: turning a hillside into a series of ascending terraces for farming.

For rice fields in Han dynasty, I tried to find a related journal article on models of rice fields from Han period (I translated the title): Funeral models of paddy fields from tombs of the Han period.pdf. The article is in Chinese though, but there is an English abstract and some images that will help. I think, rice fields on flat grounds are more likely to be "large-sized paddy fields" mentioned in this article (See Figure 1). Water in a rice field should be the same or slightly below the ground level. The rice field in this comment might be closer:

On 02/07/2020 at 8:33 PM, Stan` said:

Another attempt

2.JPG

Less shiny

image.png

Of course, I don't know if there are any other considerations for choosing the current rice field model. Historically it's not wrong, but technically, I am afraid not.

Edited by OliverLew
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OliverLew said:

Registered because I started to play this game and curious about this Han China mod (haven't tried it tho).

Once you tried the mod, would you be willing to help with proper Chinese names for structures and units? Currently, I used google translation, dunno how accurate it is.

Edited by artoo

A question regarding unit roster.

In the current version, there are too many cav units in my view, to underline infantry armies.

I think it should be cut down to maybe 2-3, and probably a horse breeding tech introduced to make cav relatively late game option.

ERROR: CXeromyces: Parse error: simulation/templates/structures/han/farmstead.xml:1: Start tag expected, '<' not found

ERROR: CXeromyces: Failed to parse XML file simulation/templates/structures/han/farmstead.xml

ERROR: Failed to load entity template 'structures/han/farmstead'

ERROR: CXeromyces: Parse error: simulation/templates/structures/han/field.xml:1: Start tag expected, '<' not found

ERROR: CXeromyces: Failed to parse XML file simulation/templates/structures/han/field.xml

I would fix this easily, but I don't have push access to this repo. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

5 hours ago, artoo said:

A question regarding unit roster.

In the current version, there are too many cav units in my view, to underline infantry armies.

I think it should be cut down to maybe 2-3, and probably a horse breeding tech introduced to make cav relatively late game option.

Get rid of cavalry spearman. The cav halb is more interesting.

Same with champion cav spearman and champ cav halb.

17 hours ago, artoo said:

Once you tried the mod, would you be willing to help with proper Chinese names for structures and units? Currently, I used google translation, dunno how accurate it is.

Sure, I will (probably report them in GitHub). And ignore the rice field thing, I tried the game and find out the rice field in game is not bad at all.

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I would fix this easily, but I don't have push access to this repo. 

What OS do you use?

There isn't really something to fix.

Short explanation is, since last time I added rice, it was removed for whatever reason,

when adding it again, I made the farmstead and field actually symbolic links to field_rice and farmstead_rice, so I don't have to fiddle with the templates should grain be desired.

The AI expects farmstead and field to build them, so the symlink was sufficient for testing how AI plays the Han.

The symlink is a temporary solution, you could just recreate it. It is no problem on linux, but may be on Win or Mac.

I also had a thought of maybe making grain default field, and have rice due to higher yield tier2 tech to research(ie Han expansion in the south as time progressed). Just a thought, no must do.

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Get rid of cavalry spearman. The cav halb is more interesting.

Same with champion cav spearman and champ cav halb.

Triggers a slight problem as is, the halberd units are atm tier2.

If I remove the spear cav, make halb tier1 and starting unit, or no cav starting units at all, and more starting infantry instead?

Or, different approach, make spear units upgradable to halberd?

Edited by artoo
  • Like 1

I would definitely prefer rice (mostly cause it is a nice to have something different than the usual fields)

And afaik most people are not against rice per se, only the opinions on the correct depiction diverge.

So imo, yes just make rice the default, so that at least people can try the mod without getting errors :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1