How to counter Egyptian Pikemans ?

UltraMan

When playing 1v1, I take large Mauryan archers to raid ptol player. he has small number of pikeman which dont die from my archers easily. They keep absorbing the arrows while his handful slingers behind nearly 10 pikeman kill my entire 30~40 archers. We both were in phase 1 so techs doesn't matter.

- archers are good for provoking a fight from a distance, but they are not actually good for fighting, never commit to a fight with archers alone

- when fighting against pikes, it's worth using swordsmen instead of spearmen, in any case, you need a share of your army to be melee fighters. If you don't have good ranged units (archers are the worst ones in this alpha) just use melee.

- everybody give me a like if @BreakfastBurrito_007 comes here proposing to add attack ground to the game :P

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, UltraMan said:

When playing 1v1, I take large Mauryan archers to raid ptol player. he has small number of pikeman which dont die from my archers easily. They keep absorbing the arrows while his handful slingers behind nearly 10 pikeman kill my entire 30~40 archers.

18 minutes ago, alre said:

- archers are good for provoking a fight from a distance, but they are not actually good for fighting, never commit to a fight with archers alone

@UltraMan Seems kinda obvious to me that you should have a melee front line.

In phase 1 as maury infantry rushing ptol focus fire the slinger, use the longer range for hit and run, surround the enemy units, lots of mico.
It is best not to fight, it is not worth it because of the distance to the opponent, because of the inaccuracy and low dps of the archers. Melee units are of little use in this particular scenario. Later swordsmen are essential.

Unfortunately 0ad has no attack ground xd.

2 hours ago, a 0ad player said:

In phase 1 as maury infantry rushing ptol focus fire the slinger

Yes, this is the best way to kill the slingers, keep in mind though that you need to kill each individual one because the archers will go back to killing pikes. It becomes untenable to do this after units reach more than 20-30 in number. If you have a larger army, focus firing will not be effective, but it can be possible to maneuver units to ignore the pikemen, but your opponent can adjust pretty easily by choosing box formation.

3 hours ago, alre said:

- everybody give me a like if @BreakfastBurrito_007 comes here proposing to add attack ground to the game

Its an astounding prediction XD. Does this mean you agree and have heard enough of me, or that you disagree and it should not be added?

I will try to test the existing thing this weekend, but I am computer ultranub and will probably fail.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

4 hours ago, UltraMan said:

When playing 1v1, I take large Mauryan archers to raid ptol player. he has small number of pikeman which dont die from my archers easily. They keep absorbing the arrows while his handful slingers behind nearly 10 pikeman kill my entire 30~40 archers. We both were in phase 1 so techs doesn't matter.

Get swordsman for yourself. Swords counter pikes. If you see them going for Ptol  then choose Spartan and spam Skiritai. 

4 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Its an astounding prediction XD. Does this mean you agree and have heard enough of me, or that you disagree and it should not be added?

I don't have strong feelings about it, it could be good but maybe other solutions could be better. also I don't have much hope that the proposed implementation (bare attack-ground uninformed on where possible targets are) would be any good in practice.

Edited by alre

12 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Get swordsman for yourself. Swords counter pikes. If you see them going for Ptol  then choose Spartan and spam Skiritai. 

Yekaterina yes swordsmen do counter pikes the best, but they will still lose their melee units first against pike/skirm or pike/sling (unless equal numbers of skiri, which is a different ball game). Cav do provide other options to beat the composition.