Millenium AD - REVAMP

Radiotraining

4 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

don't forget to use material compatible only with the legal rights of millenium A:d.

Basically they are CC 3.0 by SA and CC0.

do not use material without permission from third parties.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

oh, that's true!!

For the Rus building I used a couple of new textures from https://www.textures.com/, they should be legally possible to use. I may have to check more further.

In case, do you have suggestions where to source texture material possibly?

- another disclaimer: I used some background music from youtube intentionally only for experimental purposes with the idea to change them before any official version... but I shared the github link!! :(  shut!! I forgot that! Maybe I should cancel that link? I forgot to mention this and update the assets :(

EDIT: I deleted the link and I'll update those assets without any possibly copyrighted material

Edited by Radiotraining

Just now, Radiotraining said:

oh, that's true!!

For the Rus building I used a couple of new textures from https://www.textures.com/, they should be legally possible to use. I may have to check more further.

In case, do you have suggestions where to source texture material possibly?

- another disclaimer: I used some background music from youtube intentionally only for experimental purposes with the idea to change them for any official version... but I shared the github link!! :(  shut!! Maybe I should cancel that link? I forgot to mention this and update the assets :(

we forgot you were new.
The first thing is that at least our faction symbols and music and textures are under that standard, we don't want to have legal problems.

@Stan`

• Like 1

Just now, Lion.Kanzen said:

we forgot you were new.
The first thing is that at least our faction symbols and music and textures are under that standard, we don't want to have legal problems.

@Stan`

yeah..! I know about it and I'm aware! As I said, those are the only 2 elements that have been consciously sourced outside, knowing that I would have changed them eventually. But, admittedly, I forgot this detail at the moment of sharing the github link. My bad!! :(

All the rest, including faction symbols, is material either free, from 0ad or created entirely by me.

I'll welcome suggestions for the textures. I read the disclosure and they can be used for game assets. But maybe you have a couple of other trusted websites where to find material

• Like 2

Just now, Radiotraining said:

eah..! I know about it and I'm aware! As I said, those are the only 2 elements that have been consciously sourced outside, knowing that I would have changed them eventually. But, admittedly, I forgot this detail at the moment of sharing the github link. My bad!!

our official mods are under the same rules of the game, this does not include Delenda Est.

• Like 1

About the emblems.. well, mostly they were already present in the game. Although I took the liberty to update them. The only really new is the Russian one that I sourced from wikipedia ( https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granducato_di_Mosca#/media/File:Banner_of_the_Most_Merciful_Savior,_1552.svg) CC BY-SA 3.0.

The rest is either from the forum or made by me from scratch in photoshop/illustrator.

emblem_umay.png

emblem_byze.png

emblem_carol.png

emblem_norsey.png

emblem_russya.png

2 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

About the emblems.. well, mostly they were already present in the game. Although I took the liberty to update them. The only really new is the Russian one that I sourced from wikipedia ( https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granducato_di_Mosca#/media/File:Banner_of_the_Most_Merciful_Savior,_1552.svg) CC BY-SA 3.0.

The rest is either from the forum or made by me from scratch in photoshop/illustrator.

emblem_umay.png

emblem_byze.png

emblem_carol.png

emblem_norsey.png

emblem_russya.png

the Byzantine one needs to be discussed a bit and the Frankish one I have the original file.

9 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

the Byzantine one needs to be discussed

the Byzantine one was inspired by the cross found at the Chora monastery in Costantinople. This is part of the historical material provided by @Andronikos Medina

But obviously, it's all part of experimenting a bit with aesthetical boundaries before settling to any definitive solution. The original Byzantine faction had already a functional symbol, as well as the Carolingians. This is all "extra" corollary material, but certainly nothing particularly decisive to the "core" of the game. The only missing one was the Umayyads that I created from the material in the forum! :)

And the Rus, but I shared the link to the original material! :)

cross_from_church_of_Chora_Instanbul.jpg

Edited by Radiotraining

2 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

the Byzantine one was inspired by the cross found at the Chora monastery in Costantinople. This is part of the historical material provided by @Andronikos Medina

But obviously, it's all part of experimenting a bit with aesthetical boundaries before settling to any definitive solution. The original Byzantine faction had already a functional symbol, as well as the Carolingians. This is all "extra" corollary material, but certainly nothing particularly decisive to the "core" of the game.

cross_from_church_of_Chora_Instanbul.jpg

I opened a new topic to make a revision.

6 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

ah yeah! I have it! Sorry, I shared only the small png that I used as assets

(idk, I saw the original emblems were only 128px and I did the same)

the original are a bit bigger: 600px

I can attach a couple of .psd files, if necessary 

emblem_russya.psd 4 MB · 1 download emblem_byze.psd 3 MB · 1 download emblem_norse.psd 5 MB · 1 download

great.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

slowly slowly I'm updating the mod to include some new features, assets and all the good stuff. If you want to try it out, you can find it here: https://github.com/stereotipo/millenniumad

Current changes had been :

- A full building set for the Umayyad civilization (was lacking) 

- An update of some Byzantine buildings, to make them more historically accurate and improved textures (thanks to @Andronikos Medina for his historical supervision, as scholar of Byzantinism)

- A new civ, the Rus (currently on hold) with new planed features and mechanics

Today, as a personal exercise I also made an alternative splash screen, featuring the Norse and I'm planning to make a few more! :)

Once completed, I hope that this mod can have the chance to promote 0ad and Wildfire Games through early medieval history! :)

promotional.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people!! Happy new year everyone!

I hope y'all had some nice holidays.. here it's been a bit of a mess getting sick for a couple of weeks. I took advantage of the circumstances to advance a bit with this little project. I wanted to share some advancements with you all so I made this little bullshit promo image ahahaha :D

- Anyway some changes have revolved around a restyle of the current civs and now I finally tackled the new one the Rus which is already quite playable!

- I tried to introduce also some little game mechanic variations, like a couple of buildings in the roast when necessary and some alternative techs for some civs. Nothing extraordinary, but maybe it could be a bit of an experiment for features in the Vanilla

About the assets:

- Music have been sourced here: https://pixabay.com/%2Fsv/music/ and https://archive.org

- Textures have been sourced here: https://www.textures.com/ which is a pretty good repository for assets that can be used for game production and similar

(it clearly states in the terms that: "You are allowed to use our photos for many kinds of projects and even sell them in combination with 3D models.")

- The rest of art / 3d models and illustrations have been made by me (aaand the previous people that worked on it obv). So is 100% free stuff :D

The game still need some polishing but I feel like it's getting to a nice advanced stage, so guys I would be happy if some of you want to try it out and share some feedbacks.

The game can be downloaded here: https://github.com/stereotipo/millenniumad

promo_page.jpg

Schermata 2022-01-03 alle 15.29.38.png

Edited by Radiotraining
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Do you guys need help with new unit textures?

Hey man!! Thanks so much! I wouldn't have hoped for this proposal!  :) especially since I've seen your great work recently!

Short answer: yes. Some help on that would be very appreciated. Especially because it's just me (and @Andronikos Medina) working on it at the moment, and I'm bad with units texturing LOL. 

Honestly is really the part I would need some assistance! I tried a bit, but I'm starting from scratch and the material available in the trac is pretty old so not much usable sometimes..  it would be cool if you also want to experiment a bit with this! Maybe we can find a way to collaborate so it becomes a more easy work for everyone involved? :)

I would definitely love to give it some final polish and I definitely appreciate the help of whohever has more experience in the field!

Edited by Radiotraining
  • Like 1

Btw: I think you had also worked with Millennium AD previously, if I'm not wrong .. right? I remember you made Umayyads units which were super cool and probably my favourite! :) ehehe I wanted to ask about some of the original material, like the portrait units that I couldn't replicate exactly, but I was a bit too timid to ask around and I wasn't sure you were still active around and interested in this :)

Sure! It would be super cool to have you onboard if you want to have fun again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/12/2021 at 10:58 PM, Radiotraining said:

slowly slowly I'm updating the mod to include some new features, assets and all the good stuff. If you want to try it out, you can find it here: https://github.com/stereotipo/millenniumad

Current changes had been :

- A full building set for the Umayyad civilization (was lacking) 

- An update of some Byzantine buildings, to make them more historically accurate and improved textures (thanks to @Andronikos Medina for his historical supervision, as scholar of Byzantinism)

- A new civ, the Rus (currently on hold) with new planed features and mechanics

Today, as a personal exercise I also made an alternative splash screen, featuring the Norse and I'm planning to make a few more! :)

Once completed, I hope that this mod can have the chance to promote 0ad and Wildfire Games through early medieval history! :)

promotional.png

4 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

Hello people!! Happy new year everyone!

I hope y'all had some nice holidays.. here it's been a bit of a mess getting sick for a couple of weeks. I took advantage of the circumstances to advance a bit with this little project. I wanted to share some advancements with you all so I made this little bullshit promo image ahahaha :D

- Anyway some changes have revolved around a restyle of the current civs and now I finally tackled the new one the Rus which is already quite playable!

- I tried to introduce also some little game mechanic variations, like a couple of buildings in the roast when necessary and some alternative techs for some civs. Nothing extraordinary, but maybe it could be a bit of an experiment for features in the Vanilla

About the assets:

- Music have been sourced here: https://pixabay.com/%2Fsv/music/ and https://archive.org

- Textures have been sourced here: https://www.textures.com/ which is a pretty good repository for assets that can be used for game production and similar

(it clearly states in the terms that: "You are allowed to use our photos for many kinds of projects and even sell them in combination with 3D models.")

- The rest of art / 3d models and illustrations have been made by me (aaand the previous people that worked on it obv). So is 100% free stuff :D

The game still need some polishing but I feel like it's getting to a nice advanced stage, so guys I would be happy if some of you want to try it out and share some feedbacks.

The game can be downloaded here: https://github.com/stereotipo/millenniumad

promo_page.jpg

Schermata 2022-01-03 alle 15.29.38.png

That looks awesome if you want guys I can accept your merge requests here https://github.com/0ADMods/millenniumad or give you after discussion with @Stan` some access so that the work is not duplicated.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

Btw: I think you had also worked with Millennium AD previously, if I'm not wrong .. right? I remember you made Umayyads units which were super cool and probably my favourite! :) ehehe I wanted to ask about some of the original material, like the portrait units that I couldn't replicate exactly, but I was a bit too timid to ask around and I wasn't sure you were still active around and interested in this :)

Sure! It would be super cool to have you onboard if you want to have fun again!

Let me patch up some of my working files that I still have with me, most of my materials were at my old hdd which I still haven't accessed yet to recover

Yes, I am a project member for Millennium AD, just got occupied with school related stuff plus my old laptop gave up on me so I was not around for almost a year. :)

Count me in, let's slowly work on things.

First thing that I want to address is that if we should still use 512x512 textures or maybe use 256x256 since most of my current working files are at that resolution

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, asterix said:

That looks awesome if you want guys I can accept your merge requests here https://github.com/0ADMods/millenniumad or give you after discussion with @Stan` some access so that the work is not duplicated.

sounds pretty cool! This would be my ultimate goal to reach that final stage of a full product! And yes, I'd love if this could help continue the Millennium AD legacy.

I mostly took what was already there, so a big part of this is still the work of all the people that came before. I just tried to move things a little since I noticed the project was a bit discontinued.

Bear in mind, however, that the current fork I'm working in is still a work in progress, so before thinking of merging I think it would need some review and probably some fixing here and there from more experienced modders in the forum. It would be cool if someone would like to try out the current iteration and give some feedbacks. A lot of features are also missing or just roughly sketched out. I'm planning to complete everything but, of course, it will takes still some time :)

14 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Let me patch up some of my working files that I still have with me, most of my materials were at my old hdd which I still haven't accessed yet to recover

Yes, I am a project member for Millennium AD, just got occupied with school related stuff plus my old laptop gave up on me so I was not around for almost a year. :)

Count me in, let's slowly work on things.

AWESOME!! ^^

darn..! Sorry to hear about the laptop incident :( that really suck! I hope to not face a similar trouble

No worries about the material.. if it's possible to recover something it would be great, but I can still use what's already available! No stress :)

16 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

First thing that I want to address is that if we should still use 512x512 textures or maybe use 256x256 since most of my current working files are at that resolution

You mean about units? I guess I'm fine with it! :) I saw some of the models you shared recently and they seemed to work pretty well, so I don't think there's a problem with resolution. 

I only used larger files for the buildings to host more textures and also have more crisp details. But that comes only from my preference. I'm not that experienced with modelling after all, so I'm interested to hear who has more experience and knowledge than me in the matter :)

• Like 1