Facebook's lost generation

https://www.theverge.com/22743744/facebook-teen-usage-decline-frances-haugen-leaks

I will quote the beginning of the article.

Earlier this year, a researcher at Facebook shared some alarming statistics with colleagues.

Teenage users of the Facebook app in the US had declined by 13 percent since 2019 and were projected to drop 45 percent over the next two years, driving an overall decline in daily users in the company’s most lucrative ad market. Young adults between the ages of 20 and 30 were expected to decline by 4 percent during the same timeframe. Making matters worse, the younger a user was, the less on average they regularly engaged with the app. The message was clear: Facebook was losing traction with younger generations fast

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• Lion.Kanzen changed the title to Facebook's lost generation
10 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The message was clear: Facebook was losing traction with younger generations fast

Honestly I wonder who is even using Facebook anymore. Personally it's been more than 5 years that I've never touched it.

I casually opened it recently and I was shocked by the level of ignorance and stupidity in the comments under a news report. I closed it immediately again.

Not that other platforms are any better, but this problem on Facebook seems to be particularly relevant

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

I casually opened it recently and I was shocked by the level of ignorance and stupidity in the comments under a news report. I closed it immediately again.

Still better than twitter honestly.

9 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

Honestly I wonder who is even using Facebook anymore. Personally it's been more than 5 years that I've never touched it.

Personally I use it to share content and discuss archaeology, history, science etc.

4 hours ago, Angen said:

I use just messanger feature, but its fb so...

I use Messenger quite a bit, even for texting. I still post stuff to my Facebook wall, but mostly to just beat back against the tide of @#$% overwhelming the platform. My Facebook feed is atrocious, and they keep making it worse to achieve greater engagement with baby boomers and serve them ads.

As soon as I start seeing all the political censorship in favor of only one narrative against all others... I decide to leave... Facebook is not for a free oriented people as me from past generations. Is now a political tool for left and liberal political propaganda, and regardless of if I agree or not with what they have to say, I will not support a social platform that censor all the voices that don't comply with Facebook's executives political and personal agendas, no matter if I agree or not with them.  I'm now on MEWE, a small social platform, that I find more dynamic in its platform structure, and they don't censor anyone there...and I do really like it. By the way, The Empires at War scenario is working fine, I have been doing tests and so far the Al is doing great, no errors yet...As soon as I find the Scenario map clean and ready for playing, I will be posting a link for everyone interested to download it and play it. Have a great time, everyone. Cheers.

30 minutes ago, Belisarius17 said:

Facebook is not for a free oriented people as me from past generations. Is now a political tool for left and liberal political propaganda

Might differ from country to country. I Germany fb is massively promoting right wing propaganda, even ppl who didn't show any interest in stuff like that will get it in their timeline. The more outlandish, the more extreme sth is, the more anger and reactions it creates, so fb is profiting from it. And fb is neither reacting when clearly out-of-bounds right extremism is reported, or it shuts down the ppl who reported it.

• Like 2

I base my comment on FB in the USA present social and political situation, as I perceive it so far. About Germany, all I know, base on what I have seen on independent international news agencies, is that part of the population feel very uncomfortable with people that come from Islamic nations, because they are not compatibles with German culture and their traditions as a European civilization, same happening in many other countries from the European Union... And as an Impartial American man of Cuban extraction, I understand the Germans.. I was stationed in Germany while in the US army back in the late 80's and early 90's, and I remember Germany as a Wonderful nation, I meet pretty good German people, and they were always nice to me, I never feel foreign among them, I learned some German, and always show them interest in learning their culture and History, and they were very nice to me and very willing. But I also hold western values as them, so that helped me a lot. The same don't happen with many Muslims that come from Islamic nations with an Islamic vision of how the Germans or other Europeans should be...And that is why I understand the German right. Germany is their nation and I believe that anyone that go to another nation to live among their people should learn to be as one of them or try.  If I go to live among Germans, I should do my best to be like them and adapt to their society and culture.  If I go to a Muslim nation, I should try to learn their culture and traditions and adapt to them while there as much as I can as well...If I go to an Asian nation, the same. As The Ancient Romans used to say, When in Rome, be like the Romans...and when in your land, be as the people of your land.  I happen to agree with that statement. Thanks for Sharing Gurken. Danke fürs Teilen, bis später.

1 hour ago, Belisarius17 said:

About Germany, all I know, base on what I have seen on independent international news agencies, is that part of the population feel very uncomfortable with people that come from Islamic nations, because they are not compatibles with German culture and their traditions as a European civilization, same happening in many other countries from the European Union...

The 'problem' is massively hyped up. Most Germans don't have problems with Muslims, just because most Muslims are simply not problematic (I got some in the house I'm living in). Not to say that there aren't any problems at all.

What I find most irritating is how systematically it isn't talked about how we actively and massively produce refugees. Not only do we force 'third world countries' to open their markets for our exports (while not necessarily doing the same for theirs); but more drastically how 'we' bomb their nations. If one compares where 'we' ('the West'/NATO/USA) have bombed around in the last twenty years, and where the refugees come from one will find a very strong correlation. Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, half a dozen other predominantly Muslim countries... Where have our bombs actually turned anything to the better? 2015, when there was a big wave of refugees, the UNHCR begged for months for some money; surprisingly, if ppl don't have water, food, a place to sleep or a place to sht, there is nothing holding them there... (And then we give billions to dictators or militias to keep them away from us, let thousands of ppl drown intentionally in the Mediterranean, leave the southern EU countries alone with the ppl that reached there...)

Freut mich, dass du gute Erinnerungen an Deutschland hast; bis später!

Edit

Spoiler

While doing groceries I remembered a striking example how this 'problem' is exaggerated. A few months ago an open air bath and a canteen at VW announced they'd take sausages off the menu. It was treated as a matter of national interest, even our shtty ex-chancelor Schröder felt the urge to add a public bla. It was portrayed as a battle in the cultural war, where the (evil) Muslims force their will on the (good, pork eating) Western culture. For the most part it wasn't reported that those two places simply decided it's not worth the effort to keep the sausages on the menu, simply because they weren't bought by enough ppl anymore...

Edited by Gurken Khan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

The 'problem' is massively hyped up. Most Germans don't have problems with Muslims, just because most Muslims are simply not problematic (I got some in the house I'm living in). Not to say that there aren't any problems at all.

I still remember the beheaded French teacher.

I prefer my mono-cultural world.

I use Facebook, and that's the only social medium that I use. Boomers aside, Facebook shitposting communities and groups are pretty much still alive, and they're like subreddits for people who don't use reddit (and they're private so you have to join them to see the discussions and such), so they somehow fill a niche. And people I know (aside from boomers) also use the platform only for the memes and the groups. It's true tho that there is sort of a war going on between the left and the right and they have (tag) groups to mock each other. But hey I consider that entertaining.

If that's the direction Facebook is heading then I think I'm gonna keep using it in the future. It's the censorship that is the problem.

Thing is, Facebook is now just an advertisment platform and they manage to generate polarization in every political/social/whatever aspect of our life to sell ads using our rage, anger, fear, and every "bad feeling" of any human. And whoever paids more it will rule the local market

Idk many social networks without this market strat anyway but fb its at the top of the list for sure.

• Like 1

I understand the European situation, so the Immigrants' crisis as well... The west with their never-ending wars got into their nations and create the refugee crisis. To be honest I don't see how Europe is going to recuperate itself from it with the mediocre leaders that as us in the US have in power now. All I know is that the world is not going to be a better place for anyone with the refugees' crisis, the human sex traf@#$%ing, and the Scandemic with the American virus made in China and all this irrational  mandates and jab enforcement in Democrat run states, Canada, and many European countries and places like Australia. I don't see a good future for the new generations...and I hate to think that way. Thanks for sharing, Gurken. See you around, man. Cheers.

Edited by Belisarius17

not to get too much into the political, but to be honest I don't see it that bad from Europe. I know the things you mentioned, but I believe they're being in some part distorted by the different political sides. Mandated jabs? Is not too bad, it allowed to rebound quickly out of the crisis, keeping now pretty much open without suffering new waves of cases and deaths. If you look just under the radar, you'll see that countries like Romania have had unfortunately a very low percentage of vaccinated people and dealing with hundreds of deaths weekly. Some countries like Russia have been also forced to close again.

If you listen to a small rebellious minority you'd get the sense that in Europe we've been victims of an authoritarian state. If you listen the other majority you'll hear that we're instead victims of a defective minority. The truth lies probably in the middle, but we're far from being under authoritarian rule, and again, all things considered, we're not having it that bad. I think is possible to still keep some reasonable optimism for the foreseeable future, while being wary of the still very complex reality we're dealing with today :)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

not to get too much into the political, but to be honest I don't see it that bad from Europe. I

A small replace People who do not have children. And some places with Sharia law.

The country that if it is going to hurt could be the USA.

The migratory crises of illegals are going to be like the barbaric migrations of the fifth century.

It makes me want to tell my compatriots not to keep coming. This is the history of mankind. The human being does not learn from his mistakes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thephilosopher said:

Mostly I think young people started switching from Facebook to other social media outlets when their parents and grandparents became heavy Facebook users. Teens don't want to talk to each other on a social media outlet where their parents can see.

Facebook never was for teens.  It was for college students.  Completely different age groups.  Also, I agree with the general idea you propose - people want to be in "social connection" with their peers and not parents, especially in the 13-28 age groups.  Allowing "parents" and "businesses" adds to the continued FB downfall.

Edited by Dizaka