should i buy aoe4

i am someone who gets bored of games in few days-weeks max, very rarely i enjoy them for months, maybe if i never tried the genre before. then all the mechanics are new to you, and it takes longer before you get bored of them, up to months even in my case (and years for other people)

but i played a few rts games already, so i know i will not enjoy aoe4 that much, and tbh aoe3 was kinda lame, wouldnt play it even if it was free

but id kinda try aoe4 you know? it looks nice, i am hoping for some competitive multiplayer. but i will get bored of it in few days anyway, so im wondering if i should buy it or not......

@bad playerWhat is interesting to me about AOE4 is that it does not have any ranged units, they just have melee units that can follow a ranged animation to attack a target with 100% accuracy (basically spears with very long poles and a time delay).

I don't think people realize what a downgrade this is from having at least some type of trajectory or accuracy system in the game.

As for wether or not your should buy it, I would say the safest thing to to is wait 3-4 months and see if the game has a good, strong playerbase. 

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007
  • Thanks 1

I think the game on itself can have some merits, but it comes at a $50+ price. Probably it is not so much about the money for me, but more about the idea that it does not justify its price. If you like history, creating things and finding your way around in the 0ad engine, you could try to make a 0ad campaign if you are super bored. If you are into competitive multiplayer, I don't know if AoE4 gives better experience than age of empires 2 on voobly. You could always try DE of course.

But in the end, you need to decide for yourself what things in live you enjoy.

I don't think I will buy it, mainly because of price and hardware requirements. I like to see new changes and evolutions in games but I stopped chasing each new release.  I'm pretty happy to play a few solid games and I usually don't need to look constantly for something new. Also I wouldn't have time ehehe  

So far I mostly watched the gameplays available and, as much as I was initially skeptical, it does seem to be a lot of fun. There a few new innovations that keep the gameplay fresh and I wish something like that could be implemented more also in 0ad.

Beside that, I don't know .. the game seems to be built specifically around online matches. It's all made to be fast-paced and competitive and it lacks some depth to me. The graphic style is also quite anonymous. Like it's been made from 3d assets bought online. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and smooth, but it's still a bit boring and not very immersive. 

So it looks to me a quick game for immediate fun but not particularly deep. It's rather addictive to watch from gameplays, but idk, I think is personally destined to die after the initial enthusiasm.

I think online it could replace StarCraft 2 as multiplayer title, but I wouldn't be much interested in playing competitively in that case 

• Like 1