Mainland Rectangled

andy5995

This reminds me of a map called Anatolia, in Age of Mythology. A fine addition to the game.

5 hours ago, alre said:

the whole point of mainland map is that there is no sea. that's why it's called mainland.

I mean, the water could mean rivers or lakes (still mainland themed). It's just that water is not the main feature of the map and can be ignored. It does allow Athens to build marines though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd say add a cliff texture along the shoreline, assuming you don't want any naval access. 

Good idea! I have no idea how to do that though, or what textures I should use. Can anyone tell me how to do that, or make a pull request? The code is here.

6 hours ago, alre said:

the whole point of mainland map is that there is no sea. that's why it's called mainland.

Ok, so to work around that fair point, I created a version with higher water (so docks can be built) but gave it a different name. It's called @Yekaterinaville.

And both versions are in the community maps 2 repo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Thank you for naming it after me! Let's commit it and implement into A26?

By the way, there is a city called Yekaterinburg located in Perm province of Russia, and it has similar geography to your map. 

I'll probably wait until after it's released into the next version of CM2 and gets more play-testing and feedback, and after my pending patch for team placement on Mainland  is merged into a26.

Alternatively, if you'd like to submit the map as a patch for a26, I could assist you with that if you need it (I doubt you'd have much difficulty though since you already have programming experience).

Right now it can be played by cloning the git repo into your mod directory. Something like `git clone https://github.com/0ad-matters/community_maps_2.git community_maps_2-git` will clone it and give it a directory name that won't conflict if you have the current release of CM2 installed.

Would you recommend I rename the map to Yekatarinburg?

Edited by andy5995

3 hours ago, andy5995 said:

Yekatarinburg

Nice one, but Yekaterinburg did not exist 2000 years ago. However, it is still a good name.. 

3 hours ago, andy5995 said:

Alternatively, if you'd like to submit the map as a patch for a26, I could assist you with that if you need it (I doubt you'd have much difficulty though since you already have programming experience).

I will do that after some play testing. :) 

On 23/10/2021 at 2:34 AM, andy5995 said:

On 22/10/2021 at 6:02 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd say add a cliff texture along the shoreline, assuming you don't want any naval access. 

Done (mostly).

screenshot0007.png

and here's Yekaterinaville....

screenshot0008.thumb.png.20851d828bb02f29f80d47c88acf945f.png

Edited by andy5995
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...