Suggestion: Game option to allow building in any territory

I thought of a small change which I felt like it would be interesting: An optional game setting to disable restrictions for building only in your own areas. When the option is enabled, players can place buildings anywhere on the map including untaken / neutral / allied / enemy territory. Building ownership decay would remain in effect: If you don't garrison a building placed in a place you don't own, it will fall to gaia or the enemy who's zone you built it on, meaning you will need to do it very carefully. And of course if another player builds a Civic Center near it before you do, your building is in now their territory and may fall to them.

One reason for this suggestion is that unlike lack of a resource or an upgrade needed to build something, there's no logical physical limitation saying you can't construct something in territory you don't own: As long as you have the resources needed to build it, there should be nothing stopping you from building anywhere.

And it does feel like this could make games more interesting in practice: Players could build towers in areas they just explored to secure them before building a Civic Center there, later explorers may have to take those towers down in that case... you could also combine your own towns with an ally's.

The only exception of course would be the Civic Center or any other building that creates territory: You can't place a CC in someone else's territory and take it over, only your own or neutral space. Houses, barracks, towers... all others would be allowed for games with this setting enabled.

I don't know if it can properly answer the problem, but I suggest to check out the mod Delenda Est (if I'm not mistaken it has been updated to the current version of 0ad). It still follows the main game concept of territory restriction, but it allows to build some economic buildings (storehouses, farmfields ecc..) outside the territory, so you can grab already some strategic resources in the map. I find it's a pretty cool compromise of keeping the features of the game, while allowing some freedom.

Otherwise I know this mod was in development:

But I don't have informations about that. @wowgetoffyourcellphone probably would know better :)

Edited by Radiotraining
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

You mean outside of territory border.

It has its drawbacks to do that.

I know. It just might be fun to allow it as an option for people who want to risk that. Am actually curious how a game with this would go... for the time being I figure a mod would be possible to test it out of curiosity, not familiar with modding game changing functionality though.

Just now, MirceaKitsune said:

I know. It just might be fun to allow it as an option for people who want to risk that. Am actually curious how a game with this would go... for the time being I figure a mod would be possible to test it out of curiosity, not familiar with modding game changing functionality though.

I had come up with a building that would serve to protect this, a building that would serve as an excuse and it was a water supply or reservoir.

What it does is generate territory with the excuse that it provides water.

14 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

It still follows the main game concept of territory restriction, but it allows to build some economic buildings (storehouses, farmfields ecc..) outside the territory, so you can grab already some strategic resources in the map

I like this idea a lot.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
于 2021 年 10 月 23 日上午 5:45,Lion.Kanzen 说道:

我想出了一座可以保护它的建筑物,一座可以作为借口的建筑物,它是一个供水或水库。

它所做的就是以它提供水为借口来生成领土。

I think it would be better to allow watchtowers and forts to be built on neutral land, and then players can build warehouses near watchtowers/fortresses to collect resources. The logic is that any economic activity must first be protected by garrison facilities. If the enemy comes, women or Soldiers can enter the watchtower/fortress for evasion.

1 hour ago, AIEND said:

watchtowers

Sentry tower? I'm not sure about the fortresses.

1 hour ago, AIEND said:

The logic is that any economic activity must first be protected by garrison facilities. If the enemy comes, women or Soldiers can enter the watchtower/fortress for evasion.

I had thought of something less defensive.

I called "water supply".

6 分钟前,Lion.Kanzen 说:

哨塔? 我不确定要塞。

我想到了一些不那么防御的东西。

我称之为“供水”。

I'm talking about towers that can shoot arrows. I think the fort and the civic center are the same level of buildings, both should be able to build in neutral areas and provide land influence, the fort itself should be able to store resources, no need for warehouses.

But here's the problem, what about those lakes, streams, and waterfalls on the map, aside from wells? These are all water sources. Rather than re-drilling wells where there is no water, in reality people always choose an easier way - to settle directly next to a natural body of water.