Getting Lower latency(higher ping) during gameplay

SAJacky

Hi,

I have been playing 0AD for nearly a year. Since the start, am getting very low network connection(~400ms), which cause interruption to me, along with the other players playing along with me. When I tested my network speed from sites such as speedtest.net, fast.com etc.. am getting nearly 30-60ms. I'd like the developers to take some minor measured on this issue, so that I can bring more of my friends to the game.

My location is :- Kerala, India

12 hours ago, SAJacky said:

am getting very low network connection(~400ms)

Could you host a game and test it with a local friend? You can open the "Network host statistics" via F11 (try Alt+F11 if the former won't work) and toggle through till you see it. 

The RTT value (aka ping) is what you are looking for. The value for your local friend should be very low. If not, something is wrong, report back if this is the case for you.

12.thumb.jpg.0711b090c8227232360e6f6431487254.jpg

The lobby itself is hosted by WildFireGames (the maker of 0ad), but all the games you play connect you directly to the game's host. Depending on your location (many players are located in Europe/USA/South America) and internet quality, certain players may experience delays. Using an Ethernet cable can help reduce latency a bit.

Another option would be to create your own server lobby for India. There are detailed instructions in this GitHub repo, but that's probably not the answer you're looking for.

Edited by Langbart
  • Like 1