0ad community lacks sportmanship

lagger

When playing TG, everyone expects me to resign when my teammates loose and I'm last one left

If I don't resign then host just closes the game while I have untouched kingdom with towers and large troops ready to defend.

I know I'm not gonna win but I don't play to win. I play to have fun. Winning or loosing is part of the game. trying to defend is fun. We are all gonna die one day yet we still choose to live.

This happened multiple times in TG So I asked the host (NoobDude) and told him that this is rude. By doing so,  I was kicked from lobby for using bad language (I guess calling some1 'rude' is bad now huh)

• Confused 1

@lagger, I think you are jumping on conclusions to quickly. First of all, you assume someone misused their powers, whereas a little more interest in that person might bring you on other views.

For the case of being expected to resign after your allies have lost, that is indeed something. Against 4 opponents you won't have a fair chance and that is something you understood as well. Noobdude decided to close the game, which seems rude to you. In 0ad we are in the inconvenient position that if the host leaves the game, the game closes. That aside, I think the notion of ''rude'' depends on how you view it. Obviously you might have fun trying to defend, but what if the other 4 players just consider it a waste of time? Is it then still rude to leave the game? The answer on that question depends on what is bringing you towards the game and if that is competitive play, then winning 4v1 is not your thing. So probably those people view that you are just wasting their time by trying to play 4v1, while the game is all ready over in their view. Also, if they think that someone who drags unwinnable games on, they might consider that annoying. So is a person allowed to kick someone from a game if they consider that person annoying? Or let me rephrase it: Do you have to accept annoying people in your games? If the answer is "no", then you can hardly call that an abuse of power.

While I (hope to) understand your point of view, there are people with other views.  I think that both views should be respected and phrases as "rude" and "abuse of power" are not in place.

Also if you don't like Noobdude or anyone in particular, you could always host your own games and decide with who you want to play.

• Like 1

This seems like a situation where both sides have a case. You want to play the game until your army's defeated. The other side wants to guard against the problem of people who fight all the way down to the last unit and cause silly lengthening of games.

In a situation where neither side is clearly in the right, you should negotiate it out beforehand.

Edited by thephilosopher
  • Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, lagger said:

When playing TG, everyone expects me to resign when my teammates loose and I'm last one left

If I don't resign then host just closes the game while I have untouched kingdom with towers and large troops ready to defend.

I know I'm not gonna win but I don't play to win. I play to have fun. Winning or loosing is part of the game. trying to defend is fun. We are all gonna die one day yet we still choose to live.

This happened multiple times in TG So I asked the host (NoobDude) and told him that this is rude. By doing so,  I was kicked from lobby for using bad language (I guess calling some1 'rude' is bad now huh)

Hello i understand, if u want to play until the end you must choose your host and not the too elitist ones

@lagger

I do not know the full situation of course, but I can say that there are two likely possibilities for why the host closed early

1.  The game may have been lost after everyone but you was destroyed, so the host closed before it was your turn to get destroyed.In this case, I would recommend that you fight alongside your teammates. It may seem that your allies are quitting early because your base has not been attacked yet, so I would advise to seek out involvement in the course of the game rather than waiting for the battle to come to you.
  2. the host was rage-quitting, which means they don't see the value in letting the game play out after they have lost their part of it (selfishness).