Profanity Filter Needed on Game Titles?

DerekO

This dude is 1404 now?! He joined the lobby about 1 month ago and played his first lobby game with me and Jofursloft. From cosmic noob to 1400+ in month is impressive. And, yes, the dude was rude. 

Anyways, game titles are a big loophole as there isn't much length control or content filter so they can come up with whacky names like this. It should be limited to a certain number of characters. 

For game titles, I think something in the form:

'TG >1200'  (8 chars)

'1v1 ~1600'  (9 chars)

'2v2 <1300' (10 chars)

would be sufficient. It is difficult to fit squeeze a personal insult of any severity into merely 10 characters, so that should solve the problem. The longest English word I can think of is Buckminsterfullerene (20 characters) so there is no reason why a game title should be longer than that. 

56 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

This dude is 1404 now?! He joined the lobby about 1 month ago and played his first lobby game with me and Jofursloft. From cosmic noob to 1400+ in month is impressive. And, yes, the dude was rude. 

Anyways, game titles are a big loophole as there isn't much length control or content filter so they can come up with whacky names like this. It should be limited to a certain number of characters. 

For game titles, I think something in the form:

'TG >1200'  (8 chars)

'1v1 ~1600'  (9 chars)

'2v2 <1300' (10 chars)

would be sufficient. It is difficult to fit squeeze a personal insult of any severity into merely 10 characters, so that should solve the problem. The longest English word I can think of is Buckminsterfullerene (20 characters) so there is no reason why a game title should be longer than that. 

I don't know if this is a good solution. A new room come by default "nick_game", this would already take up much more than 10 characters, besides the fact that few characters make it difficult to customize matches, you would have many 1v1 1200/ 2v2 1600 etc...

• Like 1

If I don't like something, I don't read it.

Could make sense for certain situations to insert an option how many lines are displayed to me in the title and how many lines are displayed to me in the lobby chat.

No idea if player mute works for lobby chat.

At some point games were displayed in the title bar for days / weeks and the host was absent (playerlist). I did not like that so much.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, a 0ad player said:

If I don't like something, I don't read it.

That's fine for you (and me), but since the game is also aimed at minors I think a nanny-bot like in the forums would be ok. (It's not perfect and can get ridiculous, but better than nothing.)

Don't know how difficult implementing that would be. @Stan` @user1 ?

10 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

interesting @Yekaterina, what does it mean?

When I mark a word, do a right click and go to the search engine I trust (duckduckgo.com) I pretty much find any word I wanna look up. ;p

Spoiler

Buckminsterfullerene is a type of fullerene with the formula C₆₀.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

When I mark a word, do a right click and go to the search engine I trust (duckduckgo.com) I pretty much find any word I wanna look up. ;p

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/materials-science/buckminsterfullerene

5 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

That's fine for you (and me), but since the game is also aimed at minors I think a nanny-bot like in the forums would be ok. (It's not perfect and can get ridiculous, but better than nothing.)

Don't know how difficult implementing that would be. @Stan` @user1 ?

I think a quicker and easier solution would be for a lobby admin to ban a player hosting a game that uses language which violates the TOS or COC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, andy5995 said:

I think a quicker and easier solution would be for a lobby admin to ban a player hosting a game that uses language which violates the TOS or COC

I might be wrong but I've got the feeling there's not much manpower in the lobby moderation.

Anyway I think there should be a three strike rule (warning - time ban - perma ban); doesn't require a real time response and might help a bit.

23 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

The longest English word I can think of is Buckminsterfullerene (20 characters)

Some other long words in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQrxzgd6ASA

And there are plenty of suggestions in the comments for other long words both in English and other languages... hope no one suffers from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia*!

(* - Fear of long words)

2 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Grundstücksverkehrsgenehmigungszuständigkeitsübertragungsverordnung

Real Estate Traffic Permit Transfer of Responsibility Ordinance?

i don't know what this is. lol. 

But I doubt anyone will use that as a name... I hope not. If you don't like the char limit then I guess human monitor is necessary. 

This is a complicated one. I can see the issue from that screenshot and don't approve of such... at the same time I so don't want to see the endless fashion of a thought police trying to enforce "rainbows and sunshine" coming here next.

A good way for now would seem an ability to block certain servers from appearing in the list. Same way we could have supports for favorites to bookmark them... we could then have an un-favorite category for people to hide such servers when they spot them.

47 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

'Thought police' & 'spoiling the children'... Gee.

I'd consider it basic decency not to massively use foul language around minors. Granted, in some ways I'm old & conservative.

How do 'servers' play into this?

They are cyclical times in history. in these times comes a moral and intellectual decline typical of abundant prosperity.

It is when past times are annexed and then come conflicts, whether social or wars and the fall of empires.

That is why China is in a cycle where it is very disciplined, even young people do not play more than 3 hours a day.

Japan was the same but hey now it's in a demographic winter.

Even if the words by themselves, or the language could be considered completely inoffensive by some, the meaning is clear and clearly intended to be offensive, antagonistic, or troll-like. Even if you put those points aside on the basis of cultural differences, that server text is just completely off-topic for a server list, not at all descriptive of the game being hosted, and can be considered spam.

Went to play right now and I did see a server with the F word in it, nothing bad like that screenshot though. Honestly I found it funny and harmless... in a way it would seem boring if this stuff was completely outlawed like in the AAA games, kinda gives me a pleasant memory of that long lost vintage internet where people would say whatever but still had fun in it :)Of course doing this shouldn't become a purpose in and of itself, the list is meant for making servers and playing after all, it would raise questions if this ever became a phenomenon with ill intent which luckily doesn't seem to have happened yet.

7 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

found it funny and harmless... in a way it would seem boring if this stuff was completely outlawed like in the AAA games, kinda gives me a pleasant memory of that long lost

In the AAA, it is even used to recruit children for the Narcos (cartels) in Mexico.

ricardo_mejia_free_crop1634736662390.png_242310155.png.acb17b9461dbae5c40053c910e036273.png

alerta-po1.jpg

then Americans wonder why hard control of the southern border is so important.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Just now, Lion.Kanzen said:

this is an important point. 2 opposing cultures tend to quarrel.

This is a very true point. It's unfortunate how much division different cultures can have... by which I don't necessarily mean just national cultures, which make a little difference but people are divided everywhere. In my case I grew up with a strong "protect people from clear undeniable harms, have thick skin and don't care about anything else" mindset... not something I claim is perfect just my way of thinking, in part it's because I have a strong spite for authoritarianism based on how it affected and scared me in the past. While I can't personally transpose and envision it, I can imagine others being different for their own motives... while I hate everything being so strict and taken so seriously nowadays, I don't want to ignore how they feel either if a bad word can truly make someone feel considerably bad.

For this suggestion, perhaps an option of sorts would be good, such as regex expressions to replace words. It would be nice if it was left up to individuals if possible.

• Like 1