Women

Argalius

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very vague:

Cheezy's right. Female Citizens have an expanded role in 0 A.D. relevent to the historical time period. Male Citizens and Warriors are also quite a bit different than what you are used to in an historical RTS. I won't devulge the details, so I'll leave it at that.
Hehe, I think it would be an insult or atleast an easy break if we make women villagers gather 10% faster or male villagers carry 10% more or something like that, no the difference between them isn't in their statistics but in their role in the game. I'll let you speculate on what that means.

Very clear:

She will be the one tending farms and gathering berries. She'll also "empower" the male units around her to work harder.

:)

4)My conclusion is that the berserkergang was self-induced, a form of religious ecstasy. My reasons for this conclusion are several. First of all, Egil's Saga (as well as other sources) speak of the gangr as something that could come upon a berserk unexpectedly. Fabing cites sources that claim it could be brought about by laborious work. The Byzantine emperor Constantine VII refers to the "Gothic dance" of his Varangian Guard, which was ceremonial in nature and involved dressing in animal skins. (While it is not recorded whether the Varangian Guard were berserks - a term Constantine would not have known - they certainly are described in a similar manner.) In a similar vein, artifacts such as the Torslunda plate show Odin dancing with animal-skinned warriors. In the Volsunga Saga Sigmundr (chosen of Odin) and his son Sinfjolti put on wolf-skins and become nearly invincible. Berserks are described as leaping about before battle, or pacing like a caged animal, or biting upon their shields. Statues that may be of berserks show the warriors pulling strongly upon their beards (which is rather painful, to all you non-bearded persons). The thing each of these last examples have in common is that they would all tend to induce high adrenaline states, either through pain or through exertion, which is certainly consistent with descriptions as a cause of the gangr. And lastly the berserkergang is a phenomenon that is hardly unique to the vikings. The Greek maenads, female devotees of Dionysos, are described in a virtually identical manner (and yes, they were fighters according to legends of the wars in India). The Celtic Heroic Feats, practiced by such warrior bands as the Feanna, seems also identical. I might also mention the leopard-men of Africa, the wolf-warriors of the ancient Middle East, and possibly the Indonesian "Running Amok". And in many of these other cultures these practices are spoken of as something self-induced.

From Uppsala - Berserkergang

How about the Greek maenads then?

Oh!! Maened cheat code :) Unlock the power of drunk Greeks of the feminine persuasion. *Leonidas is killed ingame while still laughing*

Or give the Persians a Scythian archer who just came out of the smoke tent, where they would throw a plant related to marijuana on the fire and breath deep :P :P Herodotus has lots of these little tidbits about elicit drug use LOL ;)

Likely not too accurate... probably he'd be seeing purple rabits and flying elephants all over the place and try to shoot at them :)

I like the Maenad cheat idea... although they might be of little use against the might legions of Rome - who were used to simply cut down anything that opposed them, no matter wheter man or woman (some Germanic women had to experience this when their men had lost the battle at Vercallae and they had to make their last stand in their camp)...

... only to get cut to pieces at Zama lateron ;) Whichever way you look at it, an army always is only as good as its commander, even if it outnumbers the enemy or is technically superior.

Also, Hannibal fought against Pre-Marian legionaries (so did the Greeks), and the Roman Army (IMO) got considerably stronger after the Marian reforms. And the Varian disaster took place due to the commander being a credulous man with no knowledge of the terrain and the people of Germania. It wasn't the common soldiers who caused the loss of the battle, and not the lower officiers of the Centurionate, it was the high command.

(That's just my opinion, though :))