0 A.D. $1000 1v1 Tournament

DerekO

@DerekO From the response on this topic, it looks like the money prize is not a very good idea. Most of the players in 0AD just play games for fun not for money. Having money prize will complicate the things. If you like, you may go ahead to host a tournament with no money prize. I think some good players will enter the tournament and you can just get it going. 

On 16/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, Stan` said:

Pathfinding is mostly good now with the threading. Problem is the JS code. Bottleneck seems to be the attack part now.

Thank you for clarifying :) I was aware that there was a multithreading patch lying around and and least parts of it got committed, however I don't know how optimized the current solution is, i.e. if there is approximately equal load on all CPU cores, if it is scalable to a huge number of cores, if its efficient (double number of used cores -> close to double performance or just a small increase) etc. In any case, the progress sounds promising...

On 15/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, Stan` said:

Yep. Usages of the money are a bit complicated though due to the non profit nature of our sponsor.  We might comission some artist in the future to do stuff. Currently there aren't many artists active.

Is there an official sponsor? I thought the money had been completely raised by donations...

And are there any major plans for specific fields of development? It seems to me that the Art department has been quite strong compared to some programming areas e.g. AI

4 minutes ago, Palaxin said:

Is there an official sponsor? I thought the money had been completely raised by donations...

I think I could sponsore but it would take me time to put in  my savings and get otu 1K, I am going to start streaming on twitch maybe side profits

Tournaments with cashprize why not but in an alpha version I don't think it's useful.

I would think more of a rewarding reward, which shows. by that I mean a little trophy or something. A crown or a trophy stuck to the speudo in the lobby.

Why not even a second ranking " trophy hall" with the name of the people who have won tournaments and the name of the tournament (if the tournament is "accepted" by the staff it can be displayed in this ranking party. "The players will leave their mark on the the story.

In BAR we got a lot of traction with prize pool tourneys, the last one was quite decent I think ~$500 and it attracts a lot of audience.

I could see something like that working for 0ad, but some things would def. need to have been addressed by then to make it presentable esp. with regard to networking and spec tooling.

A 'pro' stream setup helps wonders too, I'm certain @mysticjimwould have no problem with that :-)

• Like 1

Okay, I got a number of issues with the whole business of tournaments in 0AD, broadcasting them, prize money - and the proposed funding of this specific instance.

I'm going to deal with the latter first. @DerekO - you're what now, 14 or 15 years old? While I don't doubt you have $1000 knocking around - and if you do, technically it's yours to do what you want with it, but I do have serious concerns, if 0AD players really want tournament play with cash prizes, as to why a 14 year old should be funding it?

From what I can tell, the business of monetizing any part of 0AD officially, even if it's to generate prize money for a tournament, is a major administrative nightmare, and anything 3rd party is currently as unofficial as it gets. In the event of a private tournament being run by a third party, WFG would have to distance itself from it legally in the event of any potential issue that might come up, such as reports of cheating, technical issues, disputed results and ultimately, delivery or non-delivery of the promised prize money. Not to mention the person putting up said prize having the capabilities to wire prize funds to potentially any country in the world. Tournaments involving money need at least some form of regulation, they can't just be thrown out there on the fly. To my knowledge, hardly any of the free tournaments I've seen have managed full participation by all players or reached a satisfactory conclusion within a sensible timescale. Tournament play in 0AD is nowhere near mature enough to support the sudden introduction of cash prizes.

Regarding tournament play itself, without an official means of hosting tournaments within the game lobby, the whole thing would be a bit of a DIY effort, further relying on third parties for tournament structure. WFG and the current dev direction of 0AD have shown no particular priority towards formalising tournament play in game at this stage.

Add to that the practicalities of players from 0AD's international player base in all the different time-zones actually taking part and the chances of technical fault free competitive play are severally limited.

Finally, 0AD's current potential streaming audience is tiny. I do video on demand, mostly, with the occasional live recording - that I still edit to meet certain base production standards, and the final product is still VOD released to a schedule. If the VOD audience were to grow by a significant factor, regular live streaming would be a viable pursuit for the investment of time into it. Right now, it simply isn't, the metrics aren't there.

I love the idea of tournament play, it adds a massive narrative to a series of games, they actually mean something - people can get invested in them.  But right now, there simply isn't anything like enough of a professional or technical infrastructure to support it. 

Sorry, I probably sound like a complete old party-pooper, but I see more immovable obstacles than I see good outcomes at this time. 

• Like 4

I agree with many points that mysticjim made, except the assumption that you are 14 or 15. There is no reason why I would assume that you couldn't be 16 years old. Lets put that aside.

Also, I always thought about tournaments as investments. T90 has hosted several high prizepool Age of Empires 2 tournaments. He is a professional streamer and gains popularity for hosting the tournament and also his audience indirectly pays for whatever prize money he puts into it. Also Microsoft, the publisher of Age of Empires 2 and other companies put prize money into it. Currently if you would host a tournament with a prizepool, that would just mean donating money to Vali (without further return) and he might appreciate that.

If you want to make 0ad more popular, I think it is more fruitful to create an environment where excellent 0ad youtube (or other media) content can be created.

• Like 1