Whats The Most Important Part Of An Editor

Aeros

Just wondering what people's tastes are for things in an editor.

Personally I think eyecandy is the most important part of an editor, as it expresses the author of the scenario the best and reflects his style. The more diversity you have in eyecandy the more style one can express in his scenario.

One thing AOM seriously lack is the variety of plants featured in the aok editors.

Plus that not only Newbs gain their first fame with screenshots, I think the game gain its first fame with screenshots too. Thus I consider objects and eyecandy making the most important, triggers second, elevation and terrain in comparison the last.

Well, I say Eye-Candy, too... it makes an editor great if there's the possibility to produce real looking cities and landscapes with eyecandy, while generic and object-less landscapes make the editor quite mediocre.

A personal example: At MWD, we have some good triggerers, but also two guys who are excellent at doing eye-candy. They can do things with the AoM editor I never had imagined (just found myself looking at a full-blown greek city with Thermae, rural suburbs, port and theatre today - everything done by combining objects in unusual ways), and that is what makes their maps look great, though their triggers are average of even below (we do cover this by having good triggerers doing the triggers, so expect some great things to come out in the future... :)).

But what I wanted to express is that their maps really come to life through the eye-candy and you can imagine to live in the story. That's why I (as a triggerer) think that eye-candy is very important. Second would be good triggers for me, because simple things like renaming units gives your stories much more potential (word?).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

(weew, old thread) :D

Well, from the poll results I think it shows clearly that all aspects of a scenario editor are the most important.

Besides maybe the objects you can place. Which is smart considering that with combinates of triggers and eyecandy you can come up with alot of interesting creations, not limiting you to types of units placeable.

• 1 month later...

hmm i gotta say Triggers. an editor without useful triggers will make the oportunities to make cool effects and tricks very limited......

the buildings and objects arent that important, as long as you are able to overlap buildings, which is a way of creating eyecandy and "new" whicked looking buildings. besides, from what i've seen you are able to create new units, and this also involves new buildings :)

the landscapes arent that important since the most escential thing to make a well looking map is to know how to place objects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...