Just now, Lion.Kanzen said:

I'm sure not.

I made suggestion and searched for tickets related to this.

Nobody takes the minimap seriously except for Nani.

Btw

I would like to have an extended version, called a tactical map with icons.

I wouldn't say nobody takes the minimap seriously. There is a lot to do after all. ;) @Langbart is who made the larger minimap patch for Delenda Est, and uses it in his own spectator mod. He does good work.

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I wouldn't say nobody takes the minimap seriously. There is a lot to do after all. ;) @Langbart is who made the larger minimap patch for Delenda Est, and uses it in his own spectator mod. He does good work.

I'm talking about a decade, I'm not talking about so recent.(Trac)

But yes, lately there is much more dynamics with the interface.

I am not aware of what Lambart does, but it is full of exciting ideas.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Langbart said:

Related ticket

Thanks, Mr. Bart. :) It's a feature I think would benefit the base game as well as mods (I could imagine Hyrule Conquest making custom minimap icons, for sure).

And with your larger minimap, the icons won't be as odious as they would be with the current smaller minimap.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I for one love the way that looks, the minimap feels much more modern and complete this way! I also see the change being extremely useful, you can actually understand what's going on instead of having to guess from the little dots / squares currently used to represent buildings (I often confuse them with resources). For both reasons a big +1 from me, I'd be thrilled if this change made it into the next release!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It's just Photoshop for now.

I see. Are those icons free assets, or ones you can use if you created them? The general design is really good so I hope it can go in that direction. Doesn't sound like it has time to make it in 0.26 in any case, but hopefully at least 0.27 may have it.

2 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

I see. Are those icons free assets, or ones you can use if you created them? The general design is really good so I hope it can go in that direction. Doesn't sound like it has time to make it in 0.26 in any case, but hopefully at least 0.27 may have it.

I made them myself, yeah. Just simple 16x16 pixel art. I'll need to ask whoever decides to take the task what exactly they will need as far as icons go.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

would be nice an expanded strategy map

Yeah, i've been thinking about that too. If it becomes too much of a hassle to put icons in the minimap, we could have an enlarged version that could be access thorugh some key (like Tab) and that would be like a snapshot of the minimap, (without units but with icons for resourses and CC. Similar to the Tab key in Age of Mythology.

g868.png.dac013724aaa855211501ae2e2506353.png

In the regular Minimap these are just dots, but when you expand the minimap they become icons.

I don't know. I just thought it might be easier to implement than changing the minimap itself, given some of the posts i've read.

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It really wouldn't be any easier, since it's the same code.

Sry, i think i didn't express myself correctly. What i thought was, since the minimap has to be updated regularly to represent the changes that are occuring in the map (new units, exhausted resources, etc) it seems to be harder to introduce icons in it. What i was thinking was, instead of expanding the existing minimap, we could take a picture of that moment and display it, enlarged and with icons. We wouldn't be actually enlarging the minimap itself, so it shouldn't change any of the existing code. The "enlarged" version wouldn't update itself.

It's like this:

Press Button to enlarge --> save state of the minimap --> enlarge the saved state --> replace dots with icons

Press Button to exit "enlarge" --> discard the saved state.

Again, i don't know how feasible this is, but i thought that by separating the two it would make it harder to break any existing code.

• Like 1

TQkSAmL.png

So, I think the "temple" icon would be the Wonder. The "diamond" would be civic centers. In that image, you see an orange player civic center, a blue player civic center, and an unclaimed Gaia civic center. The gold square is metal ore, and the gray blocks are stone quarries. There will need to be some logic to prevent a bunch of overlapping stone and metal icons when the "small" mines are used on the map. So, a group of "small" metal mines are only represented by one icon; similarly a group of small stone outcrops would only be represented by one stone icon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1