Port of alpha 23b balance for 25

nani

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

Have you tried disabling unit pushing?

Yeah, disables with radius = 0 right? But what I get then is even more units overlapping and no push mechanics. I want them to behave the same as the sheep, pigs, etc units do but can't find what I must modify in the templates.

• Like 1

@nani

Yeah, disables with radius = 0 right?

No, you should set MaxSameTurnMoves to 0. Unit overlapping happens because entities boxes are not respected, and pushing was intoduced to alleviate this effect, so smaller radius will make actual unit groups tighter, hence more unit overlapping.

When you set MaxSameTurnMoves to 0, other parameters don't matter.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KKaslana said:

@nani

No, you should set MaxSameTurnMoves to 0. Unit overlapping happens because entities boxes are not respected, and pushing was intoduced to alleviate this effect, so smaller radius will make actual unit groups tighter, hence more unit overlapping.

When you set MaxSameTurnMoves to 0, other parameters don't matter.

Ok, but that still doesn't tell me why sheep, pigs, etc (cattle) units don't behave the same same way normal units do in respect to unit vs unit collisions. Does someone know a 0ad templates wizard who can tell why? @wowgetoffyourcellphone or @Freagarach?

3 hours ago, nani said:

Ok, but that still doesn't tell me why sheep, pigs, etc (cattle) units don't behave the same same way normal units do in respect to unit vs unit collisions. Does someone know a 0ad templates wizard who can tell why?

An educated guess: the animals are using a pathfinding preset for a unit class with a larger footprint than is specified by their individual templates and models. Their models are smaller than human sized models (at least in one dimension) but the simulation is pushing them apart as if they were human or maybe even mounted rider sized so there is more room around each unit. Combine with the fact that you are less likely to control a squad of several dozen animals than you are to have several dozen soldiers, the lack of good collision buffering is less apparent.

(I haven't tried to verify that any of this is true, but it's my first guess.)