Level Of French

As I understood the poll, you must be raised in that language as well (i.e. live in that language your everyday life). I was raised in French, so it's kind of my first language and the one I can use uncounsciously without thinking in another language.

Well, so... For me, I said (deeply) fluent. I hope so.

Note : It is also probable that my failling English also counts, though I wouldn't call it English anymore but Frenglish : I wasn't raised in that language, but my first 6 years I have lived mostly in English (except with my family and sometimes at school). I use that Frenglish uncounsciously, as if it were some language that I learned seperately. I tried some experiment (counting in that language). If you can count equations in some other language, it is said that it is deeply marked in your mind. For French, I have no doubt, but then I tried English and asked myself 40 times 40... I ended up saying naturally 1600 (pronounced sixteen hundred)...

Officially I started learning French in school when I was 10-years-old, until I was 18-years-old, so that's 8 years. In reality I learned it since I was born since my dad was partly raised francophone (though he never spoke French to me, being a Flemish regionalist) and since I live in Belgium where 40% speaks French. Add to that that foreigners often think we all speak French in Belgium and that the Flemish use quite a lot of French words (we say salut if we say goodbye for example) I had my education since I was born.

But that doesn't mean I speak French fluently. Never been a great student in that area, so I'm only fairly good at speaking it and mediocre at writing. But I can read and understand French very well.

Yeah when I was in South-Tirol this summer I could understand the people quite well, but speaking German was impossible. I've never learned it in school, I only know it from tourists here, tv/radio or holidays.

Yeah the vocabulary can be a problem. It's not that hard for me since I hear French all the time and the Flemish use many French words, but I can imagine it's hard for a German native speaker.

In Japanese, my weak point is listening. I can read quite well for an official beginner as I am, and wrinting and speaking isn't so difficult. But listening is quite a pain, especially in anime, where they only speak casual, and there is a really great difference between casual and polite in Japanese. But it seems I'm not so bad.

And vocabulary is indeed, and always, the problem, since when you got the trick to know your grammar (this is so easy in Japanese), you can say about anything. But you need the words...

«Me de mienai! Mimi de kikoenai! Otetsudai itashimase! Otetsudai itashimase!» ( I can't see with my eyes, I can't hear with my ears! Please help me! Please help me!)

Well I started learning french in year 5 and have learned it each year (in year 7 I only did it for 2 weeks)since then (I am in year 9 now) and easily get the same test scores and sometimes even beat the person who is french and grew up in france. Apperantly the part of my brain which learns languages is extra good or something but I still dont know enugh to do alot. I am restricted to what I have been taught.

(beer.gif

@ Red_08 ... is Texan, at last, recognized as a language on its own? :P

Back on Topic, I am really surprised that they still learn French in Australia. I once read an article saying that French is now overtaken by Chinese or Japanese in Aussie schools ... A pity for me, but I can clearly understand why ...

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, i don't speak French and by that i mean, i don't know any. I know how to say yes and that is about it. I only know English (American English) and some Spanish being a Califonian. As a matter of fact, i just went into these forums to see if any Spanish speakers could help me with my Spanish homework.