community maps 2

andy5995

It looks like the community maps mod hasn't been updated since a23, so I've made a temporary fork of the project called community maps 2

It's pretty basic, but it gives access to the maps again. And I've run some migration scripts on the maps themselves to make them compatible with >=a24. Though I haven't checked them all for warnings or errors. If you notice any problems, just open a ticket on the community maps 2 repo and I'll try to fix things up; or you can make a PR if you feel like it. ;)

The pyromod file can be downloaded from the releases section

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Of course until now I haven't played "Battles In the Dirt" since a23, but last night I noticed several errors scrolling by about 'treasures'.  I also vaguely recall the center of the map being being full of some rather nasty gaia troops. Both treasures and gaia were missing from the map, which was still quite playable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Roman said:

Of course until now I haven't played "Battles In the Dirt" since a23, but last night I noticed several errors scrolling by about 'treasures'.  I also vaguely recall the center of the map being being full of some rather nasty gaia troops. Both treasures and gaia were missing from the map, which was still quite playable.

that's the spirit of that map, that gaia units don't let you fight. then you have to break through and use them to find your enemy.

Inspired by the map (AoE 2) of the Spanish youtuber Matakito.

I made a version 2 with more items and treasures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Roman said:

Fixed. Thanks for the report @Old Roman

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Apparently it's usually impossible for people to connect while this mod is being hosted. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it doesn't. The error message is about incompatibility, even when the mods and versions are an exact match. Anyone know how to fix?

image.png.fd3b4e99f9ff6949080f714d30d67471.png

Edited by andy5995
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Freagarach said:

It may be an issue with how the folder the mod resides in is called, as @wowgetoffyourcellphone and me found out. The folder needs to be named like the mod, sadly.

What's the folder named when you install it? When I install the mod, the folder is named 'community_maps_2', which is the same as the mod name:

{
	"name": "community_maps_2",
	"version": "0.25.7",
	"label": "Community Maps 2",
	"description": "A collection of maps made by players and fans of 0 A.D. and shared publicly.",
	"dependencies": ["0ad>=0.0.24"],
	"url": "https://github.com/0ad-matters/community_maps_2",
	"type": "maps"
}

I created it using

./pyrogenesis -mod=community_maps_2 -archivebuild=/home/andy/.local/share/0ad/mods/community_maps_2-git -archivebuild-output=community_maps_2-0.25.7.pyromod -archivebuild-compress

I released v0.25.8 yesterday. It's available in the usual locations, but additionally now also available from the Arch User Repository (AUR).

Note that it won't appear in the 0ad mod menu unless you have also installed 0ad from the Arch/Manjaro package manager as well (the mod gets installed to /usr/share/0ad/data/mods).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for this mod indeed!

As discussed in another thread, some maps don't work, or, while working, are unfinished. I am using 0AD A25b.

There is Halicarnassus, which gives a full city, but with zero opponents outside, and lacks any kind of resources, outside too. There is no wood of any kind, especially, nor fish, while the player is given four fishing ships at the beginning. And the map seems to be destined for eight players, but is quite small, the city taking more than 50% of the total space. It looks like some demonstration map, like The rebuilding of Napata ("La reconstruction de Napata", in my native French language).

The map Mesina doesn't work. It charges, but it's all black. There's a working preview, but that's all.

The map South East Asia works, except for some part which can't be accessed from the shores, with only a very limited space to place docks, land troops, and some straights are unpassable to anything else than fishing ships. I don't know if it's voluntary or not.

I don't play "geometrical "maps like Chess and the likes, so I can't comment on them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SolarEagle said:

Thanks for this mod indeed!

As discussed in another thread, some maps don't work, or, while working, are unfinished. I am using 0AD A25b.

There is Halicarnassus, which gives a full city, but with zero opponents outside, and lacks any kind of resources, outside too. There is no wood of any kind, especially, nor fish, while the player is given four fishing ships at the beginning. And the map seems to be destined for eight players, but is quite small, the city taking more than 50% of the total space. It looks like some demonstration map, like The rebuilding of Napata ("La reconstruction de Napata", in my native French language).

The map Mesina doesn't work. It charges, but it's all black. There's a working preview, but that's all.

The map South East Asia works, except for some part which can't be accessed from the shores, with only a very limited space to place docks, land troops, and some straights are unpassable to anything else than fishing ships. I don't know if it's voluntary or not.

I don't play "geometrical "maps like Chess and the likes, so I can't comment on them.

I removed Halicarnassus from the git repo in February.

Messina starts all black if you are playing, but if you set player slot 1 to AI instead of assigning yourself (making yourself an observer), then you can see the map. When I joined as observer, all the AIs had 0 pop and that didn't change after a couple minutes.

I removed that map yesterday after you told me about it.

I removed Southeast Asia today. That map was never finished... Besides the issues you mentioned, there was no metal or stone (except for some treasure) placed on the map.

Thanks again @SolarEagle.

• Like 1

@andy5995Thanks! For me, Mesina "works" as you described. The map is gorgeous, but it seems it's yet another demo map. Such a map is for two or maybe three players, with two allied against the town. Doing some motte and bailey tactics is probably the way to win for the player, if there are enough resources available to begin with.

Are the authors of these maps still active somewhere?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

@OutisSometimes it happens by design, and sometimes by accident. I've updated the wiki to explain more about that. See the player settings tab section and civilization subsection.

By design, some map authors are trying to recreate historical battles and intentionally set the civs when they create a map. Sometimes certain structures or units are placed on the map during creation that can only belong to a specific civ, and therefore changing the civ during game set up would cause errors.

12 hours ago, Outis said:

Hello @andy5995,

Some skirmish maps have preselected factions. Is this by design? Can you allow faction selection for skirmish maps?

Several Alphas ago, I used to do this all the time.

The way I did it was to load the skirmish into the Atlas map editor, change the civilization of the live player and save the map with a slightly different name.  The trick was knowing exactly where to save the altered map so it shows up in the game.  Since those maps I altered from previous alphas are long gone, I can't remember what folder I ended up putting them. (I think the issue was the 'save as' option did not automatically point to the 'open file' directory, you have to figure out where that is).

I vaguely recall that the name of the map file may not be the same as the name displayed in the game menu, so you also have to change  the map name somewhere within Atlas or both maps will show up in the game menu with the same original name . 

I remember in some maps that while the first civilization was locked, you could change yourself to one of the other civs and play from there!

This method also lets you add starting options for yourself that the original author forgot like a fortress or two or a bunch of champions.

Of course there's no guarantee that these suggestions still work in the latest alpha.  And as Andy said above the wrong civ buildings may cause errors or not be functional.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2022 at 11:08 PM, andy5995 said:

@OutisSometimes it happens by design, and sometimes by accident. I've updated the wiki to explain more about that. See the player settings tab section and civilization subsection.

By design, some map authors are trying to recreate historical battles and intentionally set the civs when they create a map. Sometimes certain structures or units are placed on the map during creation that can only belong to a specific civ, and therefore changing the civ during game set up would cause errors.

I understand about historical battles but even for non-historical scenarios like Caribbean Island and Northern Islands? It would be good to have the freedom to chose by default rather than modifying the maps in Atlas.

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2022 at 7:06 AM, Outis said:

I understand about historical battles but even for non-historical scenarios like Caribbean Island and Northern Islands? It would be good to have the freedom to chose by default rather than modifying the maps in Atlas.

@Outis Already done, as of v0.26.5

https://github.com/0ad-matters/community-maps-2/releases/tag/v0.26.5

Those 2 you mentioned are included in the "6" I mentioned in the release notes.

Edited by andy5995