French Alphabet

I'm supposed to be learning the french alphabet for homework but you can't write down the french alphabet and read it out because it'd be exactly the same as in English so I assume I'd download an MP3 with someone doing the alphabet or something ^_^ I dunno, any help would be appreciated :wine:

A - Bé - Cé - Dé - E - Èf - Gé - Ach - I - Ji - Ka - Èl - Èm - Èn - O - Pé - Ku - Èr - Ès - Té - U - Vé - Double Vé - Iks - I grec - Zèd

Here is how I would say the alphabet myself. The u is the French U (as in my name Ugo) and the E is the strange sound that isn't latin. What is left is quite regular in pronouciation.

(beer.gif

Well, let me give you a French alphabet with English sounds (although it won't be the same)

a = aa( r ) (as in car)

b = bé (nearly as in bay)

c = sé (nearly as in say)

d = dé (nearly as in day)

e = he( r )(same sound as in fur)

f = like in English ... ef

g = jé (but don't pronounce the d that the English always places in front of 'j')

h = ash

i = ee (as in he)

j = jee (as in gee without that "d" sound ...)

k = ka

l = like in English ... el

m = same ... em

n = same ... n

o = o( r ) (same sound as in for)

p = pé (nearly as in pay)

q = kü (nearly similar to queue without the "i" sound after the "k" sound)

r = hairr (similar to the word hair but stress the "r" at the end ...)

s = same as in English ... ess

t = té (same as in ten

u = ü (nearly same sound as in cue

v = vé (a bit like veins

w = double vé (dooh blu( r ) vé)

x = ee-ks

y = ee grayk (Greek I ... because of its Greek origin ... Upsilon)

z = zed (pronounce zayd)

hope that helps too ... I hate doing that, but I know my students like having a reference in their own language ...

Well, for the alphabet, I'm quite sure the contrary is true : that the English alphabet pronouciation is mere anglicization of the French. In fact, you feel that the pattern is regular except for three letters (R, W and Y), which are easily explained.

As for the Q issue, its because the vowel u add a strong patalization in K in English, hence giving something close to "kyu" in English. Since this doesn't happen in french, it stayed ku :wine:

(beer.gif

Well, the French "u" obviously comes from the Franks. the sound "u" didn't exist in Latin, where it was pronounced "oo" ... French "u" still exists in Germany (sound ü) or in Dutch ... the Spanish, the Italian don't use such a sound.

As for the English, common English doesn't use French "u", but I recall that in some parts of England (Cornwall or Wales) people tend to pronounce the French "u" ...

Anyway, the sound of French "u" is spelt y in international phonetics alphabet ... so that's the best to refer to it. ^_^

By the way, Tim must be able to pronounce that sound "u" since he is German ... :wine: