AI never builds palisades or walls

Ryze

I've observed a handful of AI-only games in A25, with Petra bots on Medium difficulty and Defensive attitude.

In none of those games have I ever seen the AI build palasides or walls, leaving it extremely vulnerable to small-scale raids even in the very late game (e.g. 1 hour in...).

Is this a bug, or has the AI for this been disabled in A25 for some reason?

46 minutes ago, maroder said:

@Ryze it never did build walls in any of the recent alphas, cause it is not trivial to decide where to put them without blocking itselfself at the same time. So it's just not implemented (yet)

Thanks for the info.

As someone who likes to turtle and then in the late-game enjoy the feeling of crushing through the lines of fortifications of my opponents (even if just an AI), eventually having it implemented will be amazing :)

Edited by Ryze
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryze said:

Thanks for the info.

As someone who likes to turtle and then in the late-game enjoy the feeling of crushing through the lines of fortifications of my opponents (even if just an AI), eventually having it implemented will be amazing :)

Play against an Iberian AI, or on a map which offers walls by default?

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 1:46 AM, Yekaterina said:

Play against an Iberian AI, or on a map which offers walls by default?

It's not the same thing, nor are the starting Iberian walls a substantial enough challenge for a turtler (I imagine they are simply intended to deter early rushes...).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new feature might make it easier for the AI to build walls. Whenever you try to build a wall, you can not build it if a building/obstruction is in between. If it would be such that if a building/obstruction is in between the endpoints, it would create two wall pieces: One from the starting point to the building/obstruction and one from the building/obstruction to the endpoint. For multiple buildings/obstruction it would work idem dito. That would also make it easier to avoid gaps.

For the AI we then could just order it to build square walls around the CC and any buildings/obstruction in between should not be a problem.

• Like 2