(Secondary) attack types (https://code.wildfiregames.com/D368)

Hi! If it is of any interest, i've found that if you copy the <melee> attack of a spearman.xml and add it to a javelineer.xml file it will show on the ui, but the javelineer will still only use it's ranged attack. However, if you change the <PreferredClasses datatype="tokens"> of that <melee> attack from "Human" to "Structure", when you order those Javelineers to attack a structure, they will use the melee attack instead of the ranged one. I even changed the damage of the melee attack to something stupid like 250 Hack just to be sure that it wasn't using the damage values of the ranged attack.

I might be wrong, but this small experiment leads me to believe that it might be possible to implement the secondary attack mechanic by making use of this preference thing.

Also, i found in the component Attack.js a GetBestAttackAgainst function (lines 343 to 378), that draws a distinction between Slaughter, Capture and other forms of attack. I don't know if this function is used or not since i haven't found another reference to it, but it might be possible to add more distinctions to it (maybe even one based on distance between units and stuff).

I don't know if this will help but, who knows?

6 hours ago, Micfild said:

Hi! If it is of any interest, i've found that if you copy the <melee> attack of a spearman.xml and add it to a javelineer.xml file it will show on the ui, but the javelineer will still only use it's ranged attack. However, if you change the <PreferredClasses datatype="tokens"> of that <melee> attack from "Human" to "Structure", when you order those Javelineers to attack a structure, they will use the melee attack instead of the ranged one. I even changed the damage of the melee attack to something stupid like 250 Hack just to be sure that it wasn't using the damage values of the ranged attack.

I might be wrong, but this small experiment leads me to believe that it might be possible to implement the secondary attack mechanic by making use of this preference thing.

Also, i found in the component Attack.js a GetBestAttackAgainst function (lines 343 to 378), that draws a distinction between Slaughter, Capture and other forms of attack. I don't know if this function is used or not since i haven't found another reference to it, but it might be possible to add more distinctions to it (maybe even one based on distance between units and stuff).

I don't know if this will help but, who knows?

Well it already works in @bb_'s patch